Monday, January 4, 2021

I Didn't Know

Ben and I had super early reservations for dinner on New Years Eve. Perhaps we’re just old. Perhaps it's because we couldn’t wait to bring 2020 to an end. Maybe a bit of both? Suffice it to say, we were ready for 2021!

There’s one thing for sure about 2020. Ben and I didn’t know what 2020 would bring. I didn’t know we’d be grieving the loss of our five year-old pup. I didn’t know I’d get super sick before COVID hit. I didn’t know COVID would hit. I didn’t know about the hailstorm destroying our stuff. I didn’t know that Ben would break his pelvis. I didn’t know my dad would end up in the hospital and eventually assisted living. I didn't know I'd struggle with crazy anxiety. I just didn’t know.

I bet each one of you have an 2020 “I didn’t know” list. It ‘s not fun to look back on stuff that’s hard, but I find some solace in the fact that God actually got us through 2020! We just didn’t know all that 2020 would bring, did we?

But, wait, I don’t think we know what 2021 will bring. I believe we’re hopeful. We anticipate better things ahead. But, the honest to goodness truth is that none of us know what 2021 would bring!

I’m counting on 2021 being good because of what I DO know. The promises of God will never fail me. He does not change, no matter what changes around us. His promises remain the same year after year. Here’s a bit of what I’ve been thinking about as I head into the new year:

Why am I hopeful? “Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.” Jeremiah 17:7

Who doesn’t change? “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”  James 1:17

What keeps me from being consumed? “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new ever morning, great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-24

Where’s my focus? “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:17-18
What calms my anxious heart? "Casting all our anxieties on him, because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

I'm hopeful that 2021 will be a better year because I'm hopeful in God. He's for real. Happy New Year!

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment