Sunday, December 13, 2020

Born in a Barn

One of my favorite memories of childhood was the week of our county fair. Not only did my horse stay at the fair all week, but we humans joined the horses! I suppose they don’t allow such a thing now, but it was sure fun then! I don’t remember getting a ton of sleep, but barn life was great. So many smells…the hay we slept on and those other smells we horse people actually didn’t mind. So many sounds…horses kicking around and whinnying throughout the night.

I don’t suppose most of us give much thought to barn life. My parents would remind me as a kid “You weren’t barn in a barn!” which was my subtle cue to clean my room. But, I still enjoy barn life as I visit my horse each day. Those same sights, sounds and smells are still there. It feels like home.

For Jesus, the barn was his very first home. Jesus was born in a barn, otherwise known in Bible times as a stable. Why? The time came for the baby to be born and Mary placed him in a manger because there was no room for them in the inn. (Luke 2:1-7)  The manger was actually an animal feeding trough. So Jesus was born where the animals had eaten their grain.

Why do you think Jesus was born in a barn? Just think, if Jesus was the Son of God, couldn’t God have chosen the finest of hotels? Why not experience luxurious treatment at some fancy place? He was Jesus, the Messiah! But, wait, it was God that chose for Jesus to be born in a stable. Let that sink in.

Jesus, the King of Kings, chose the path of humility and simplicity. His incarnation was a reflection of God’s heart and character. God’s character is one of humility, as is His Son. Christ is the perfect example to each of us as to how we approach God, in humility. How did Jesus express his humility? Check out his invitation:

“Come to me, all who labor and our heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Jesus invites us to join Him in His life. Most of the times we shy away from a humble life, we are really saying we don’t trust God. We want to do life on our own. Yet Jesus depended on His Father and trusted Him. (John 5:19) He chose to love his enemies. He forgave those who persecuted Him. He didn’t gossip or show envy or conceit. He didn't try to prove His importance. He loved all people perfectly. 

There’s something to be said for barn life.

“Brother, are you clothed with humility? Ask your daily life. Ask Jesus. Ask your friends. Ask the world. And begin to praise God that there is opened up to you in Jesus a heavenly humility of which you have hardly known and through which a heavenly blessedness you possibly have never yet tasted can come to you.” Andrew Murray (served as first president of the Young Men’s Christian Fellowship (YMCA)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment