Monday, November 2, 2020

Helplessness

I finally figured out what makes me most anxious these days. I feel helpless. Really helpless. I have no control of the elections. I have no control over the riots and volatility in our country. I have no control of the fires, hurricanes and floods in our country. Ditto for so many other things.  

I really don’t like to be helpless. Who does? Being helpless could actually come across weak, powerless and dependent upon others. O. Hallesby, a well known Norwegian theologian born in 1879, wrote one of my favorite classic books entitled simply “Prayer.” He writes “Helplessness is your best prayer. It calls from your heart to the heart of God with greater effect than all your uttered pleas. He hears it from the very moment that you are seized with helplessness, and He becomes actively engaged at once in hearing and answering the prayer of your helplessness.”  Did you get this? God loves when we come to Him in a state of helplessness. It’s actually a good thing!

Perhaps, we miss out on powerful prayers being answered because we’re too prideful to admit to God our need for Him? Join me in praying some of these simple, helpless prayers. Admitting that we are utterly dependent upon our God in the days ahead is actually a good thing:

Lord, I pray for your sovereign hand over the elections.
Lord, I pray for peace in our country no matter who gets elected.
Lord, I pray for peace in my own heart no matter who gets elected.
Lord, heal those that I know that COVID, cancer or another injury/illness.
Lord, heal those that I know that are grieving a loss of someone dear to them.
Lord, heal my heart that is hurting because of: ___________________.
Lord, I give you my stressors today: ____________________.
Lord, I give you my many weaknesses and want to thank you for your strength.
Lord, I’m so powerless to love others well and need your help to do so.


It feels so weird to be helpless. But when I acknowledge my helplessness, the Lord becomes actively engaged in coming alongside me and adding His strength. You see this so beautifully in Paul’s letter in 2 Corinthians 12:9 “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power my rest on me.’”
Power made perfect in my weakness. Sit in those words. This is the power we have through Christ. He is available to walk with us through anything!  God’s peace be with you today.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment