Monday, May 11, 2020

Personal Pandemic Pause

I don’t think there’s a lot of protocol for pandemics, but I feel the need to take a “Personal Pandemic Pause.” So, here are some of my thoughts during this time:

I am SO not in control. The pandemic is a reminder to me that I’m not in control, nor have I ever been. Though my schedule (and yours too) have been trashed in so many ways (graduations, weddings, vacations, work, etc.) God has not canceled being the ruler over all things. I’ve been asking God to enlarge my view of Him. He is God and I am not.  What happens when I surrender my need for control? I recognize that He knows best and it’s really a good thing to live for Him, not myself.

Never stop praying. The pandemic has been a reminder to me of my need to persistently pray and never give up. I remember praying for two specific people who had COVID 19. I didn’t know these people, but I was praying for them daily. One of them survived; the other didn’t. Why did God answer my one prayer and not the other? I don’t know.  But, that won't stop me from praying!

I think the pandemic should be a strong motivator to develop our own personal prayer lives. Prayer changes us AND what we pray for. Because I’ve seen this personally, I can’t imagine not praying! What’s going to keep you from constant worry and fear? Ask God to cultivate your prayer life. If you don’t know how to begin, let me know, I’d be happy to help you. (Email me: Nancya@ymcasatx.org)

Self Care. Our country has experience so much devastation in the last few months. Most of us are processing this in isolation. There are so many things we’re all feeling. These days are not easy! What do you need to do to care for yourself well? How is your mental health? If you’re not doing well, what steps can you take to take care of yourself? It’s perfectly okay to admit you’re not okay. If you need help, please reach out. I would love to visit with you and happy to resource you to what you need. (Email me: Nancya@ymcasatx.org)

Don’t let go of hope. Scotty Smith wrote “These are days where we need to rise up and live in His peace, love boldly and hope fiercely." We can’t let go of hope! With the angst of our country and tensions high, it’s good to focus on the priorities of Jesus: Feed the hungry. Care for the sick. Be kind to strangers. Love your neighbor. Stand up for the marginalized. Don’t forget the prisoner. Hang on to Jesus, who is Hope. Hang with whom Jesus hangs with. Don’t let go of hope and share that hope with others!

“I tried to fit you in the walls inside my mind. I try to keep you safely in between the lines. I try to put you in the box that I’ve designed. I try to pull you down so we are eye to eye. When did I forget that you’ve always been the king of the world? I try to take life back right out of the hands of the king of the world. How could I make you so small when you’re the one who holds it all? When did I forget that you’ve always been the king of the world?” King of the World, Song by Natalie Grant

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment