Monday, February 17, 2020

Puppy Pause

There are new little paws in our home that have already brought joy into our hearts! Chara, our new English Springer Spaniel, made her debut into our home last Tuesday. She was a sight for sore eyes! Ben and I are loving the puppy snuggles, while at the same time sleep deprived and scattered. All for the sake of cuteness.
Remember the phrase “follows you around like a puppy dog?” We are living it in real time. When I step outside with Chara, she is always at my feet. If I go one way, she is right there, usually right under my feet. Tripping is a common occurence with Chara. Wherever I go, she goes. She want to be near me no matter what.
Our sweet Chara has caused me to pause as I consider my own relationship with God. I went back to read the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible. The story is found in Luke 10:38-42. Jesus had come to a village where Martha had opened her home to Him. Martha had a sister, Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said during the visit. Martha was so ticked by Mary’s unavailability to help that she cried out to Jesus  “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?” Jesus replied “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Just as Chara longs to be near Ben and I, I long to be near my God. I need Him so much! It’s so easy for me to get lost in all the distractions and deadlines of each day. When that’s my focus, I cave to the pressures of each day. But when I start my day sitting at His feet, reading the Bible, praying, and even worshipping God, things change! I get perspective. Counsel. Strength. Wisdom. Hope. Encouragement. Peace.  
Chara reminds me of my need to pause and sit at Jesus’ feet. I know my need. I can’t do life without Him. 
“Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.” Psalm 73: 23-25, 28
“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment