Monday, September 24, 2018

A Steadfast Spirit

They won! They finally won! For those who follow NFL football, you may be aware of the ecstatic outbreak of joy that took place in Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, September 20, 2018. The Browns hadn’t won a NFL game since Christmas Eve in 2016. The Browns have been the brunt of jokes for a long time. But, last night things changed. Baker Mayfield, the 23 year-old rookie with all his swagger, showed up and led the Browns to victory!

Having grown up in Ohio, I know a bit of the ongoing saga it’s been to be a Browns fan. (I actually have been a Cowboys fan since I was a kid, but that’s a whole other set of saga stories.) The Browns became the brunt of many a joke over the years. Thankfully, they're team and fans never gave up believing things could change. 

Perhaps we could all use a good dose of the Brown’s steadfast spirit. Steadfastness is defined as “a posture of enduring hope and ongoing commitment, even against seemingly insurmountable external and internal challenges.” (Peter Greer & Chris Horst, Rooting for Rivals, pp. 196) What makes your work tough these days? How has the tyranny of today kept you from accomplishing the priorities for tomorrow? How has the enormity of the challenge before you dampened your spirits? How has stress affected your attitude about your work? It can be quite helpful to take a “time out” and evaluate your relationship with your work. 

You have been incredibly gifted by God to do what you do. I know, we can ALL get caught up in the challenges of work that we can’t see the forest through the trees. We can be blinded to our successes, only seeing what appears like “failures.” But, be encouraged today. Your work matters to God. He delights in helping you and being your Advocate! Let’s not get weary and forget why we do what we do. The Y cause is truly a great one! God delights in helping you be successful and making a difference, as you trust Him. He will help give you that enduring hope and commitment to rise above the challenges that come your way. 

So, let’s start our day by giving your work to God: Dear Father in Heaven, Thank you so much for the gift of work. Help me to never forget the mission and why I do what I do. Give me an enduring confidence, even when I don’t see the “wins” just yet. Help me to come alongside those that need a word of encouragement or prayer today. Point out to me who I can encourage at work this very day. Thank you for the reminder of Jesus who invites all of us to, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest….” Let me not lose heart in doing good. In Jesus’ name, Amen. 

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” Psalm 51:10,12

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment