Monday, May 14, 2018

Cone of Shame

Zoe, our English Springer, still gets a kick out of going to the veterinarian. Even at age four, she somehow thinks there’s a party waiting to happen there. This past week, she was limping due to some unknown animal confrontation in the wee hours of the morning. I took her to the vet and the treatment was antibiotics and wait for it…….the cone of shame! When the vet tech brought Zoe the cone of shame, she wagged her tail with glee! As she placed it around her neck, everything changed. Uh oh.

Didn’t Zoe remember that contraption from days gone by? Didn’t she know what she was in for? It occurred to me that we humans can be the same way. We see things coming our way and we’re quick to respond with a valiant YES, until everything falls apart.

How often have you said “yes” to something you should have said “no” to? How many bad date stories do you have where “no” may have been the better answer? Have you said “yes” to things that looked good on the front end, but brought disappointment to follow? I know that I’ve had many times in life where out of insecurity or need, I said “yes” when I should have said “no.” I’m sure this scenario has played out in your life as well.

Did you know that saying “no” is not the end of the world? Sometimes, we’re so into people pleasing that we just have to say “yes.” No, we don’t! There’s been too many times where I’ve wasted way too much time trying to please people who may never be pleased.

On the other hand, sometimes God puts a halt to things and gives us a resounding “no” when we want our agenda! We can go kicking and screaming and getting angry at God, when really, we need our own attitude adjustment. I can name countless times when I’m truly glad God said NO when I wanted Him to say YES.

Will you give God your plans today?  Can you trust Him even when things aren’t going as you imagined they would? Pray that God would give you faith to believe Him even when He gives a “no.” Pray for wisdom in making your best choices whether it’s a “yes” or a “no.” Remember who God is, and know that He always, always, always wants the very best for you.

“For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

The Lord will work out his plans for my life- for your loving-kindness, LORD, continues forever. Don’t abandon me- for you made me.”
 Psalm 138:8 (TLB)

“We are not trying to please people, but God, who tests our hearts.” 1 Thessalonians 2:4b
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment