Monday, April 23, 2018

Simply Caring

I went to prison this weekend. It was quite an experience! I just got out. But, I didn't get out with out being renewed and challenged in my faith!

Over the weekend, 42 of our volunteer men went into the prison each day while many of us women were busy at a nearby garage-turned-kitchen.  As an outside team, we made yummy meals for the inmates, prayed for them, and provided visible ways of showing love. One job was to put together paper chains, each one listing a name and city of the person praying for them.

As we assembled these simple paper chains, I glanced at names and cities from around the world listed on each chain. It took several days to assemble them! The men in white (inmates) were blown away seeing these chains strewn around the gym! They couldn’t fathom that so many people cared! Why would people they didn’t even know pray for them?

We’re now out of prison and recalling the highlights of our time serving. We loved watching the inmates’ hearts soften over the course of the weekend. They saw God’s love demonstrated through people! Can you imagine what it might be like to be incarcerated for 5 years? 15 years? Life sentence? Can you imagine what it would be like to have family disown you? What about not getting a letter for years? These inmates felt loved and accepted…some for the very first time!

There are hurting people all around us that just need to be noticed, loved, accepted and cared for. We can be so busy living our lives that we miss out on simply caring for others. Whether in the office, at a store or restaurant, there are people everywhere who need a bit of encouragement and love. YOU can be that difference maker. Why not start today?

“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.” Romans 12:10

“Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philippians 2:4

“I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to visit me.”  Matthew 25:36

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment