Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Stuff

Do you remember the old movie, The Jerk? Steve Martin’s great line: “And I don’t need any of this stuff. I don’t need the ashtray……paddle game…. remote control…..matches…..lamp." It was funny in the movie, because the movie wasn’t real. But, the fact is, losing stuff isn’t fun. It stinks.

Stuff. There’s been a lot of stuff lost this past week. I’ve heard people say “I’ve lost everything…” way too many times this past week. Hurricane Harvey has affected a lot of people’s stuff. Stuff gone forever.

We all have stuff that means something to us. Pictures. Treasures. Antiques. Electronics. Cars. Clothes. Gifts. Special memories. Precious memories and items drowned in Harvey’s aftermath. I doubt any of us can understand unless it happens to us.

Harvey’s devastation has broken the hearts of people all over the world. There are no words. But, over and over, we’ve seen beautiful pictures of what really matters. It’s not fancy cars or treasured heirlooms or even precious family pictures. It’s human lives. People matter. People matter to people and people matter to God. Max Lucado writes, “As you’ve listened to evacuees and survivors, have you noticed their words? No one laments a lost plasma television or submerged SUV. No one runs through the streets yelling, ‘My cordless drill is missing’ or ‘My golf clubs have washed away.’ If they mourn, it is for people lost. If they rejoice, it is for people found.”

Harvey has affected a lot of people in Southeast Texas. How has Harvey affected you? For me, I want to look into the eyes of fellow human beings with more love and compassion. I want to care more about people and less about my stuff. I want to hold my stuff loosely knowing it could be gone tomorrow. I want to roll up my sleeves and serve those who are suffering.

So, here’s to holding our stuff loosely, loving freely and serving joyfully! May God use you to encourage, inspire and give hope to all those who are suffering this week.

“But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment