Monday, June 12, 2017

Lessons From Summer Camp

When I was younger, I worked as a summer staff counselor at a camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I adored the Redwoods, and cycling around Carmel and Monterey. Taking the camp staff to Giant’s games wasn’t a bad gig either! However, there was one thing that made it tough. I was far away from my friends in Dallas and family in Ohio.

Back then, there were no cell phones. Indeed, this was truly the dark ages. In fact, if you wanted to make a call, you had to go down to the main phone in the camp lobby and make it there. If lucky, you could make a collect call to your family. (Note: For those not following me, a collect call is also known as a reverse charge call in which the calling party wants to place a call at the called party’s expense.) 

During this season, I was faced with a question that has stuck with me for life. Who will I turn to during times of loneliness? Letters and periodic calls didn’t quite fill the gap of being so far from home. Cell phones, facetime and facebook weren’t on the scene yet. Even surrounded by a ton of campers, I struggled with loneliness.

Today, we are constantly triggered by beeps, pings and little messages on our smart phone. Regardless of where we are or what we’re doing, we can hear those noises and quickly be alerted to someone trying to connect with us. When we’re so wired for continual distraction, it’s hard to really think about God or need Him for that matter. We can easily find someone to call upon.

It was during my camp experience, I enjoyed quiet reflection as I biked around the Santa Cruz Mountains. I loved running my dog on the Roaring Camp Loop Trail, captivated by the magnificent Redwoods all around me. I became more comfortable with times of solitude and silence, finding solace in God through worship and reading my Bible.

I look back on that summer with gratitude. I learned to call upon God in my loneliness. How will you choose to spend your summer?  Will you take time for God? He’s waiting for you.

“And he walks with me and he talks with me and he tells me I am his own…” C. Austin Miles (In the Garden)

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment