Monday, December 19, 2016

A Christmas Selfie


I wanted to take a Christmas selfie over the weekend. Not one for Facebook, but a real Christmas selfie. The one that showed the real me, inside and out. The good, the bad and the ugly. So, I went to a full-length mirror in our house. I didn’t want others to see the real selfie. Not even I wanted to look at myself and see the real selfie. It’s easier to hide that kind of thing.

Staring at the mirror, I saw the real me. Graying roots that continue to reveal the age I want to so desperately hide. Wrinkles that I can’t hide. A swollen ankle that is relearning how to walk. But, as I allowed myself to gaze beyond the surface self, I met up with my heart. A heart that longs to be real with my God and to others.

As I allowed my heart to speak, all sorts of feelings emerged. I realized that I, like most of us, carry challenges, pains, hurts and regrets in life. I came to grips with the reality of the weight of my sin that always seems to be very present. My eyes were open to my sins of impatience in myself and others. Why does shame and regret still rear its ugly head? Why does my insecurities still demonstrate their presence? This Christmas selfie is the real deal.

What would your Christmas selfie reveal? Isn't it just easier to hide these things from God and others? Or is it?

God knows the real deal about me. He see everything. He is not blind to my sin, my hurts, my insecurities and regrets. He knows every second of my life and loves me with a crazy perfect love. In fact, years ago, He sent the perfect remedy to deal with my sin. He sent Jesus, His One and Only Son, born in a manger. That Baby Boy would deliver me from my sinful self. That Baby Boy would give sight to my spiritual blindness. That Baby Boy would deliver me from my shame and regret. That Baby would calm and carry me through the storms of my life. That Baby Boy would save me. That Baby Boy I would come to worship and serve.  (See “Mary, Did You Know” written by Mark Lowery and Buddy Green) 

Merry Christmas!

“For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace, there will be no end.” Isaiah 9:6-7

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment