Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Persevering in the Long Haul

I was a bit nervous for the orthopedic appointment. But the excitement overshadowed my fears. Today was the day! Finally! No more pink cast! I had been warned about what how things would look under that cast, so I was only partially shocked at my poor, helpless, weak ankle and foot.  I’ll save the gory details. After getting schooled on using the boot, Ben and I left the office, relieved that the pink cast was in the trash. A celebration was indeed in order.

It didn’t take long to realize that this next leg of the journey would be just as challenging. Starting PT on the ankle. Walking in the boot. Dealing with swelling. Sleepless nights. This week, I just needed new hope, new encouragement to persevere for the long haul.

I really would prefer no trials in life, but if they come, brevity would be welcomed. Right?  But, when the trial goes on and on? That’s not always easy. As I’ve groveled with God about my challenges, I felt like He whispered sweet encouragements that I hope will be yours as well.

Trusting in faithfulness of God- In Psalm 139:16 it says “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”  So, God knew all about this trial before it happened? Yes. So, He allowed it? Yes.  I trust that my days are ordained for me. He will see me through. I will trust Him. Will you trust him in your trial as well?

Learn perseverance- There are times I want to give up. I get so tired of trying to get around. But, I can’t give up and you can’t either. God perseveres with us through everything we face. How can I not persevere with Him through this? At some point, we will be challenged in life. Perseverance says “I will persist in doing what is right even though doing so may produce more challenges, difficulties and suffering.”

Persevere in prayer- Sometimes, I pray to God and don’t get the result I want. I believe there are times when we benefit by not receiving an answer to prayer. It is during these times of waiting that I find God to be enough for me. I’m not just going to God to get an answer to my prayer. I’m going to God because I want more of God.  Don’t give up when God doesn’t answer your prayers right away.

Persevere with joy- There are times my face tells the story…..This is so hard. Yet, as much as possible, I seek to smile when I see people. I look for ways to joke about my circumstance. I want to rise above my circumstance and enjoy life NOW. This is the challenge God has given me. How about you?

“Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment