Friday, September 9, 2016

Help!

It was a full-fledged gully-washer. While at a physical therapy appointment, I peered outside watching the rain come down in Texas size buckets. How would I get home? How could I maneuver the crutches through the flowing water in the parking lot?  Normally, I’d just run outside, jump through the puddles, not caring if I got wet. Not anymore. Broken ankles change things.

I need help, but don’t know what to do!!!!  

As I took a chair in the waiting room to wait out the storm, an older man with a cane in hand, stood up and asked if he could get the door. After he opened the door, he quickly said, “Where’s your car?” He asked for my keys and off he went to help me. My car was delivered right to me under a rain-free cover. True Texan kindness.

I didn’t ask for help. The older man, however, saw the situation, and reached out to meet my need. I was blown away by his kindness. I won’t forget being caught in that rainstorm anytime soon. God answered a prayer I hadn’t even prayed yet!

I need help. I hate to admit I need help! Don’t you? So often, we try to do life on our own, not wanting to be a bother to others. Yet, we need help. Help with wayward children. Help with a difficult relationship. Help with a boyfriend. Help through a divorce. Help with a project. Help with handling older parents. Help with a decision. Help with choosing a new career. Help with finances. Just when we think our challenging circumstances are gone, they pop up back up out of nowhere.

I can give help. I’m so grateful for the older man who saw my need and met it. In our busy lives, we often don’t even see the needs of others right beside us! Our relationships can be based on a periodic text, a “like” on facebook, but so little true relating.  Caring involves getting out of our comfort zone. Caring involves being willing to hear someone’s pain. Caring involves caring and that’s not always easy.

Reality check today! Are you willing to share your need for help? Can you humble yourself and admit you might benefit from a counselor, advisor or coach? Can you ask God for eyes to see those around you that might have a need?

I need help. You need help. I can help others. You can help others.  Just think how much we could change our world, if we really lived this way.

“Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philippians 2:4

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment