Monday, July 11, 2016

Broken Hearts

It was 5:15 a.m. on Friday, July 8. I had just read my newsfeed and was heading out to the Y for a workout. Listening to the radio as I drove, I found myself dabbing back the tears that were streaming down my face. Dallas.  A place I love. A place I've lived. A place I know so well. To believe this ambush shooting of police happened there or anywhere for that matter, was just heartbreaking.  This past week has been grievous.

We live in a country with a broken heart. We carry a broken heart. We talk with others about these things, but there's no resolve. Violence continues to escalate. We look through our newsfeed, Facebook or Twitter to get opinions. Still, no answers. We talk to family members to try to comfort and encourage our children.  Still, no easy way to communicate what took place. This world feels out of control. We are frightened for our children. We are fearful ourselves. We wonder what will happen next. We try to blame it on something…. anything…. to make sense of the sheer evil and violence we've seen in the news. What do we do? How do we start a day, wrestling with these things?

God's Word speaks to those of us with broken hearts. He gives hope, healing, encouragement and comfort in the Bible.  As you start your day, take a moment and read and meditate on these scriptures.

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalms 34:18)

"Fear not, for I am with you be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

I've been so grateful for God to help me write these blogs each week. So often, I have no clue what to write about until I sit down and ask God for help. This Friday was not different. I had no words. Nothing. But, I know with all of my heart that God had answers.  His Word is where I find hope today. I pray you will as well. 

As you read over these verses, pray for the wives, husbands and children of the fallen. Pray Christ's comfort over these families and healing for those wounded. Pray for the city of Dallas and our nation.  Prayer changes things. It really does.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment