Monday, January 11, 2016

Take Time!

This year has started off with a bang in the Abbott home! Super busy days. Lots of appointments. Early morning alarms. Work travel for my husband. Routines are back and we are in full gear for the new year! I don't know about you, but last week was one of those weeks where it was hard to stop and smell any roses, even the pretty pink ones at HEB.
 
Do you remember the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible? In Luke 10:38-42, the story begins with two ladies who are about to have a full orb kitchen squabble. Jesus and his disciples were making their way to Mary and Martha's door. Martha opened the door and let him in. Mary, the sister, was quick to go to Jesus and sit at his feet, listening to what He had to say. So, Martha was a bit like Martha Stewart…in the kitchen making fancy recipes all the while peeking out into the living room, noticing Mary "just sitting there." Grrrrrr. 
 
Yeah, I think Martha would have been super ticked. Here she was doing all the work while Mary just sat there at Jesus' feet! Finally, she blew! She asked Jesus "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" If I were peeking through a window watching this unfold, I might initially applaud Martha's indignation. Mary was slacking. Not helping. More interested in Jesus and less in helping out. It wasn't fair! Then, of all things, Jesus actually praises Mary for what she's doing. He said "Martha, Martha…." It's always scary when your name is said twice by someone of importance! "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." If I were Martha, I'd hide in the food pantry and shut the door. Enough said.
 
As we start the new year running, we are remiss if we don't take time to be with Jesus regularly. Time spent in God's Word, the Bible. Time spent praying. Time spent worshiping. Time spent listening. Just like Mary. When I start my day like this, things just go so much better. In fact, I find that I have more time! When I sit at Jesus' feet, I am reminded of how deeply and dearly I'm loved. I'm overwhelmed by His care and concern, His wisdom, His perspective, His comfort and encouragement as I spend time with Him.
 
What would it look like if you and I believed that God deeply likes and enjoys us? What if we believed that no matter what we have said or done in our past that God loves us perfectly? What if we never had to prove anything again? Sometimes, we get so busy trying to prove ourselves, that we, like Martha just fritter away with worry, anxiety, and exhaustion. 
 
Come on. Let's make this a great 2016. Work hard. Play hard. Take time to be with the One who loves you like crazy. Go ahead...take time. You won't be sorry.
 
"Tenderness awakens within the security of knowing we are thoroughly and sincerely liked by someone. The mere presence of that special someone brings an inward sigh of relief and a strong sense of feeling safe." Brennan Manning
 
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment