Thursday, November 19, 2015

Under Pressure!


I'm not good under pressure. I'm learning to be better. Not there yet. I can put together a mean "to do" list, and work really hard to get through it. But, sometimes, I fall short. Just can't do everything! Sometimes, I think I put pressure on myself. Undue pressure. I can make everything seem urgent and that it's mine alone to handle. Not true.
 
There's all types of pressure. Pressure to keep up with others. Pressure to keep going. Pressure to get ahead. Pressure to get the promotion. Pressure to stay relevant. Pressure to have perfect kids. Pressure to lose weight. Pressure to always feel like you have to say yes. And oh, pressure to get your Christmas shopping done early.
 
Are you under the pressure of something? Have you set unrealistic demands on yourself? Trying to be in control or perfect at something? Do you feel pressure from unreasonable demands others place on you? If pressure has just been a way of life for you, how is it working for you? What needs to give? Do you know your limits? Have you considered how important it is for you to take time to pause, stop and rest?
For me, I'm in a rush to get out of town for a conference. I have so much to do in a short period of time. But, this morning, I knew that I needed to start my day being in God's presence. I needed to read God's Word and pray.  Pray about all the stuff I had to do. As I spent time with God, my focus changed. I didn't walk into my day with worry or anxiety. Instead, I experienced a peaceful spirit throughout my day. And somehow, things got done ahead of time. Imagine that!

There is no way you can have continued, constant pressure long term in your life. Some part of you will be affected negatively. Sleep issues. Physical issues. Lack of exercise. No time for relationships. Distracted. No time for fun. We WILL have times where we are super busy and under pressure. Absolutely. Don't stop being your best and giving full effort to every area of your life. But don't stop living in the process. Under pressure? Find rest in God. Seek peace from God. He gives us ways of navigating the pressures of life. Just try Him.
 
"I am at rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
 
"From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to a rock that is higher than I. For you have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." Psalm 61:2-4

 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment