Monday, June 15, 2015

Why Wait?

Imagine yourself in a world of chocolate....perhaps a place similar to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. That's where my dog, Zoe, found herself this week. We were surrounded by delicious, tempting doggie snacks and numerous doggie toys strewn out over the large training room. It was indeed doggie heaven!

Zoe, our English Springer puppy, is in doggie school. Zoe is currently learning how to be a therapy dog. Zoe hopes to one day be able to work with wounded warriors or residents in a nursing home. To prepare for her doggie day job, we practice working around children, wheelchairs, obstacle courses, and other surprises. So, this week, we were working on "leave it." Could Zoe walk through this obstacle course, without being tempted to grab doggie treats?

Much to my embarrassment, Zoe choose what was expedient. The temptations were just too close and too easy. She knew she would get a treat for obeying me, but somehow, it was much easier to go for the floor prizes rather than wait on the treats that would come from me. Waiting is incredibly difficult, even for a dog.

Because we live in an instant society, we're not used to waiting for anything. We want what we want and we want it now. Instant answers. Instant friends. Instant raise. Instant funds. Instant education. Instant home. Instant pain relief. Instant healing. Instant weight loss. Instant recovery. Instant health. Instant internet response.

I've learned in my life that the discipline of waiting teaches me lessons that I can't learn any other way. God has used waiting to get my attention. God has also made me wait when I don't want to wait. How about you?  When we don't get what we want, our true colors begin to show. Sometimes, God uses waiting to redirect us to go a different way. God also uses waiting to teach us to trust Him as we wait. He also uses waiting to build in us perseverance and character. If only we would learn to wait on God!

Do you feel like waiting is a waste? Zoe certainly did. Thankfully, we as humans, can see things from a different perspective. Will we?  Waiting is hard. Waiting can be painful. Sometimes, you want to quit. But don't! Let your waiting become a good thing. A time to build character. A time to trust God. A time to pray. Wait, my friend. It's worth it!

"Wait on the Lord; be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say on the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment