Monday, May 18, 2015

A Shoe Shiner and a NBA Player

The Las Vegas Airport. Time to kill. What does my husband do? Get his cowboy boots shined! It turned out to be a most pleasant experience. He waited for his turn and enjoyed a visit with several in the room, including the shoe shiner. What my husband noticed most about the shoe shiner was his gentle nature and the way he interacted with his customers. My husband overheard him with another customer saying "If you believe in the Bible, you know that family is important." Then, when it was Ben's turn, he asked the shoe shiner "How much do you read the Bible?" The shoe shiner responded "I read it all the time, every day. It's my guide to life. I've read the whole Bible, beginning to end." What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. When one's life is lived for God, others take note and are encouraged.


Stephen Curry plays for the Golden State Warriors. OK, it's hard for a devoted Spurs fan to talk about other NBA teams right now. However, I couldn't help but notice a story this past week about Stephen Curry and what makes him tick. After winning the Kia Motors 2014-2015 NBA Most Valuable Player, He opened his acceptance speech by saying "This is a tremendous honor. First and foremost, I have to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for blessing me with the talents to play this game, with the family to support me, day in and day out. I am his humble servant right now, and I can't say it enough how important my faith is to how I play the game and who I am. I'm just blessed, and I'm just thankful for where I am." He went on to say that when he makes a shot or good pass on the court, he pounds his chest and points to the sky to symbolize that he has a heart for God. Yes, Curry points beyond himself to the true hero, God. (Stephen Curry and the Culture of Self-Trust, Bethany Jenkins)


So, there you have it... a shoe shiner and an NBA player. Different jobs but the same ultimate purpose. Living their life for God. These two men realize that life is not about them. They're serving One much greater, their God in heaven. Beyond shoe shining and playing basketball is a way of life that has been forged through a persevering faith in Jesus Christ. A life characterized by humility, love, gratitude and trust in God. Sadly, we can miss this kind of life because we long for our own success and achievements to be lauded. We want to be noticed. Liked. Accepted. Appreciated. In the midst of striving to receive our own glory, we miss the life God offers us. Success is a great thing to aspire to, but who gets the glory for your successes?


Every day, you and I have a choice. Will we live our lives for an audience of One? Will we be about glorifying God in and through our daily work? When we make a choice to live for God, others take note. They see God in us!  When we live for ourselves, that's what people see. Ourselves.  How about you?


Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment