Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Enemy of Focus

Incoming emails. Phone calls. Wandering thoughts.  People popping by. Being able to keep your focus during a work day is not always easy.  Distractions abound.  We live in a time when there are more potential distractions than ever before.  Throughout a day, we can be in "communication" with more people than ever in human history.  How do we focus?

A distraction is something that causes you to turn away from a focus of attention.  During my day, I can be distracted by random thoughts, worries, phone calls, news, weather, sports, emails, facebook and text messages.  These distractions can keep me from being productive and efficient.  My mind can be like a pinball machine, going here and there, but not really anywhere productive.

Take a moment and consider your distractions: Can you remain focused on a work project until completion?  Can you lay aside your phone, realizing it doesn't have to rule your life?  Do you attempt to text while driving? Major distraction and dangerous!  When you're talking to someone else, do you find yourself totally thinking about something else?  Emotional distractions are even harder.  Do you have bouts of envy that take your mind away to what others have?  Do you struggle with forgiving others and find yourself thinking about the person you're angry with? Do you find yourself worrying about money, job, finances, school or your children? Worry is a big distractor! 

I have personally become aware of this area of weakness in my life.  Maybe you struggle with distractions as well.  I have come to realize over many years of walking with God, that He cares about our struggles and wants to help us deal with them.  For me, I'm praying that God will give me clear thinking and strong focus.  I'm also practicing the discipline of doing one thing at a time.  Not jumping from task to task.  How about you?  I'm going to close with a prayer for all of us:

Dear God, I give you the distractions that rule my life.  Lord, I'm distracted by ____.  Please help me focus clearly each day.  Please help me give each person I'm in contact with the respect and dignity they deserve.  Help me to be totally present, not attached to my phone.  Guard my mind when it wanders to and fro and bring it back to focus.  Help me to realize that I will never have this moment again and I need to make it count. Your presence, Father, will help me be present.  In Jesus' name. Amen.

"Dear friend, clear thinking and common sense with your life: don't for a minute lose sight of them.  They'll keep your soul alive and well.  They'll keep you fit and attractive.  You'll travel safely. You'll neither tire nor trip.  You'll take afternoon naps without a worry.  You'll enjoy a good night's sleep.  No need to panic over alarms or surprises or predictions that doomsday is just around the corner, because God will be right there with you; he'll keep you safe and sound."  Proverbs 3:24-26.  The Message.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment