Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gracie Lou and Christmas Shenanigans

Gracie Lou, our 12.5 year old English Springer, is up to her Christmas Shenanigans once again.  With a recent diagnosis of liver cancer, we have most certainly walked through some sad days lately.  Gracie Lou, however, is determined to keep us laughing and make this Christmas memorable.  She will not be outdone. Just yesterday, I spotted a 9x13 plastic container of recently baked gingerbread cookies down on the floor, near the doggie door.  I assume she was masterminding an exit strategy through the door, but hit a major loophole.  Or should I say, too small of hole?

Of course, having spent 11 Christmases with Gracie Lou, I can recall countless Christmas mischief.  How about the year that I had a beautifully wrapped gift box of goodies from Knott's Berry Farm, only to find the pancake mix box contents spread all over the floor?  Or how about the time(s) where she got into the entire gift box of chocolates?  Of course, doggies and chocolates don't do well together, so we've seen more than one holiday trip to the vet for these misdemeanors.  I learned early on that I couldn't place any gifts under the tree until Christmas, because she thinks ALL the gifts are hers and proceeds to open each one.

So, yesterday, when I saw the cookie container by the doggie door, I folded my arms together and just stared at her. (trying not to smile)  Her low-hanging head demonstrated her remorse and guilt.  She knew full well what she had done.  She slowly did a 180 and proceeded to slink out of the room.  Of course, Gracie Lou gets lots of grace these days.

Sin is a crazy thing.  We know we are wrong at times, but try our best to cover up stuff.  Sin management.  We want to hide our guilt and mistakes...as if they didn't happen.  Our bad stuff.  We want to tiptoe out of the room, just like Gracie Lou and make like we didn't do what we did. Mean to our spouse.  Stretch the truth. Cheat.  Gossip. Judge someone else.  Treat someone with a lack of respect. Hold a grudge.  And somehow, we can make like our actions are acceptable. 

God hates sin.  God loves us.  That's why we have Christmas.  He loved us so much that He wanted to make a way for us to have a full and open relationship with Him.  I made that decision years ago to accept Christ as my Savior. I now get it.  I'm still going to sin until my dying day.  But now, I can go to God and ask forgiveness.  And you know what?  He will always forgive me, because of my relationship with Christ.  Always.  He will do the same for you as well.

Gracie Lou's shenanigans remind me of my own propensity to sin.  She also reminds me of God's grace.  I will continue to extend to her the grace that I have received from God.  What else is there to do?

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment