Monday, July 20, 2015

Keep Calm and Carry On

You can't miss the popular phrase, often seen on T-shirts.  The first two words "Keep Calm" are followed by the phrase of choice. I did some research on the topic to find out where this phrase came from. Keep Calm and Carry On was a motivational poster produced by the British government in 1939 in preparation for the Second World War. The poster was designed to raise morale of the British public, threatened with predicted mass air attacks on major cities. Although they printed over 2.45 million copies, the poster was hardly ever publicly displayed. 

What would your "Keep Calm" logo say? Well, I did some research on this too and found quite a few variations! Keep Calm and Grandma on. Keep Calm and Be Yourself. Keep Calm and Eat Chocolate. Keep Calm and Enjoy Life. Keep Calm and Call the Doctor. Keep Calm and Have a Cupcake. Keep Spending and Carry on Shopping. Now Panic and Freak out... significant twists from the original.

Consider back when this phrase began...under the shadow of Nazi air strikes and bombings. Death and destruction. The British people knew that their people would need encouragement. Most of us will never face this kind of pain, trauma and tragedy in our own lives. However, we do know what it is like to worry. To fret. To be anxious. To fear the future. To fear the present.  

As much as I try to "Keep Calm," I must admit, I can get anxious or begin to start worrying if an occasion arises. Keeping calm is not enough. I can't honestly "carry on" in my own strength and do it well. I fail every time. I can't "will" myself to be calm. That only lasts for a while. When trouble comes, I have a choice.  I choose to place my confidence in God.  Oh, sometimes I'll worry for a while, but I finally realize that I need to take my worry to God.  I often turn to Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (NIV) Living a worry-free life is possible.  It's a choice and starts with trusting God.  Praying to God.  Thanking God.  Giving God your worries.  Will you do that today?

Keep calm.  Trust God. He will see you through. You only need ask.

"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety." George Mueller

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment