Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Encounter with Three Bad Boy Dogs

It was just two weeks ago, amidst the on-again-off-again rain storms, I managed to squeeze in a walk prior to church. I can't remember what the Weather Channel had said about rain chances for that day, but I knew the quicker I got out on the pavement, the better. So, off I went.

It was just over a year ago, I had taken off for a run in the same neighborhood only to be chased and bitten by a pit bull/terrier mix. My lovely scar reminds me of that special encounter. It seems I have developed a new found fear with certain dogs. Multiple dogs enhance this fear.

I hadn't gone a mile on my walk when I was approached by three bad boy dogs, each claiming they were pretty hot stuff. One was a Dalmatian. One was a large brown mix. The third was a black vicious looking dude that could have been a distant relative of my former attacker. I'd heard all sorts of "if you're ever approached by a dog again" lectures, so this time, I was armed and ready. Well, not exactly armed, but ready.

I stood my ground. I yelled. I lunged a huge step toward each one of them as if to say "You don't scare me... you better get out of here..." All three dogs kept barking, all within a few feet of me. I continued using my deep voice, facing them, standing firm in my tracks. Slowly, as I kept yelling, I backed up. Step by step, I moved until I finally turned down another street. The rain started coming and the dogs seemed disinterested in me now that the sky was falling. I made my way down the road, hid under the cover of a tree, calling my husband for back up support. It wasn't the most peaceful of Sunday mornings.

Over the course of this year, I've had to name this new found enemy out loud.... FEAR. There are ALWAYS so many reasons for us to be afraid. Vicious dogs. Floods. Hurricanes. Theft. Accidents. Our future. Finances. For me, those three dogs were a real threat. They were dangerous.  But God says He doesn't want His people to be afraid. God doesn't want us to live in fear. Sadly, many of us do.

In this situation, God gave me the presence of mind not to fear and to do the right thing. I will continue to walk those same streets in peace and not avoid them due to fear. I am even more equipped and prepared as my husband ordered me three pink containers of mace, designed for the fashion conscious mace carrying woman. Now, I am armed and ready.

As you navigate day to day life, is there any way that fear still grips you?  Fear of being alone? Fear of people's opinions? Fear of what might happen? Fear of losing something valuable to you? Did you know that fear does not tell the truth? Being afraid doesn't keep hard things from happening. But, with God, we'll be able to face our fears with peace. Mastering fear instead of fear mastering you.

I love this promise from God's word "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8  Today, may you realize the reality of this verse for your life.

Nancy Abbott is Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment