Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Impasse on the Horse Path

We looked like a modern day version of Beverly Hillbillies. Well, not quite. Just over a week ago, we packed up our truck with kayaks, mountain bikes, luggage and Zoe, our dog. Destination? Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Not to be accused of frittering away our vacation, we packed each day with some kind of adventure.... day hikes to mountain lakes, fly fishing, kayaking beautiful lakes and mountain biking.

Usually during a Colorado vacation, I take one day to do a no-nonsense horseback ride in the mountains. Ben has no desire whatsoever to do this activity, so he and Zoe took off to Pearl Lake to fish.  Our horseback ride route was also to Pearl Lake. 12 miles by horse. Over the mountains and through the woods. When was the last time you sat in a saddle for 8 hours? Needless to say, this day was packed with adventure, surprise and a more than enough saddle sore moments.

The adventure began when we came up on a huge tree over waist high across the riding path.  The recent stormy weather in Colorado probably caused the downed tree. We three riders and the guide decided to dismount our horses and attempt to move the log off the path. It wasn't easy. Our leader would holler out "One, two, three, MOVE!" At that moment, we would lift the log and move it a few inches. This went on for quite some time. I never considered logging for a career, but felt like I got hands on experience that day.

Just when I thought there would be no future impasses along the way, I was wrong. Soon, we came up upon two different trees down. This time, we dismounted, and our leader tried to lead his horse over the logs. The horse refused. I suggested trying to lead Quails, my horse, across. Quails walked over the logs like a real champ. All the others followed like perfectly good trail horses.  I would like to say that we had no further issues, but we did. I think I counted three or four more times where we had to bushwhack our way around downed trees to keep on our path. When we finally got back to the ranch, (several hours late) our guide gave us overwhelming kudos for being such good sports.

On the ride, I started thinking more about these downed trees and the challenge they caused. It felt like we were stuck. At an impasse. A predicament that didn't appear to have a way of escape. Thankfully, in each impasse we encountered, we were able to make it through. Often, in our lives, we come at these same impasses. A person at work you can't get along with. A project that has been stymied. A relationship with the same issue over and over. How we handle these impasses matters. Do we push our way through, leaving people in the dust? Do we consider all aspects of the challenge? Have we shown respect and value towards others as we deal with the impasse? It would be wise to reflect on how we handle these impasses, in our work and personal life.

When I come to an impasse, I sometimes think I have to solve the problem and solve it now.  I just want the situation to be better. But even with our downed trees in the mountains, it took ALL of us to solve the problem. I've had plenty of different situations in life that I would call impasses. Or they felt like them at the time.  More than anything else, I have found God to be so there for me to aid me.  He gives wisdom, insight, understanding and even a clear path to follow when I come up against an impasse. I don't have to solve it all myself!  God is present and very willing to help.  All I do is ask. That's relationship. That's what God wants for each one of us. 

Are you in the midst of an impasse today? Stuck? No forward motion?  Don't blame it on the log or person in front of you. There's something you can do.  There's something God can do. 

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

Nancy Abbott is Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment