Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Fresh Fruit

I can't get enough of the fresh fruit aisle at HEB. Blackberries. Blueberries. Watermelon. Peaches. Cantaloupe. Honeydew. Strawberries. Love this time of year! On our recent trip to Colorado, we even enjoyed a form of fresh fruit in Huckleberry Ice Cream at the Clark Store. I guess you can count that in the fruit and veggie column, right?

I crave good fresh fruit. The smell of a good fresh peach. The sweetness of a watermelon. The crunchiness of a blackberry. The juice of a honeydew melon. Yum. I can't help but turn to the Scriptures to find how Paul challenges us to have spiritual fruit in our lives. Spiritual fruit? What in the world is that? the concept of bearing spiritual fruit is often seen in scripture. One of the more popular verses is found in Galatians 5:22-23. :"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control." Can you think of anyone in your life that has ALL of these character traits in full measure? I only know one. Jesus Christ. So, what is bearing fruit? It's becoming more like Jesus. Spiritual fruit will become more recognizable in our life as we spend time with God, get to know him better and pray. Our character will begin to change for the better. We won't rely on ourselves alone, but recongize that walking with God brings a change life.

Sadly, many people today are fed up with modern day Christianity. Many of us have been judged or treated poorly by others Christians. Many of us have judged or treated other poorly. Mahatma Gandhi's quote comes to mind: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." This is a challenge to you and I to live a different life. To walk as a Christian means resembling Christ more each day. It will have a powerful effect on your work, your home life, your relationships and your perspective on life.

How about starting your day by praying for more fruit? Spiritual fruit, that is... Dear Heavenly Father, I want my life to be marked more fully by the Spirit's fruit. I pray that these fruit will be more evident in my life through your Spirit's power....

Love- Help me remember how much Jesus loves me, and teach me to love all people deeply. Point out to me when I judge, criticize or withhold love from others.

Joy- No matter what the circumstance, difficult or wonderful, help me live with true joy. Joy that transcends my circumstances. Joy that only comes from you, God.

Peace- May your peace transcend my fear and worries, my unbelief and my desire to control things and people. 

Patience- Father, calm my hurried soul, my lack of flexibility and my impatience, which is ultimately pride.  Give me more tolerance when others goof up, knowing full well I goof up too.

Kindness- Help me be kind to all people.  Forgive me for being rude, obnoxious or overbearing.

Goodness- May I be on the lookout for those that need hope and help. Grant me your goodness, God.

Faithfulness- Forgive me when I'm a flake and fail to follow through with stuff. Your faithfulness is great, God. Make me more like you.

Gentleness- Lord, show me when I'm harsh or react quickly to things or people. Cultivate in me a spirit of gentleness.

Self-control-Lord, I need self-control! Whether it's exercise, eating, listening, talking too much, drinking, spending or something else, help me to take responsibility to change these areas that have gotten out of control.

May these fruit be alive and fresh in your life this day!  God bless you and refresh you with a beautiful character!

Nancy Abbott serves as Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment