Monday, August 19, 2019

Just Breathe

Based off the last few days’ traffic analysis, I am confident that traffic jams are in our near future. More cars. More urgency. More minivans. More make up applications at traffic lights. More phone checks at traffic lights. More very long lines at traffic lights. More school zones that actually are flashing again.
Even without kids, we feel the school rush in our household. Currently, our kitchen is totally undone while the cabinets are being painted. (Is there ever a good time to paint cabinets?) My husband started a new position teaching at St. Mary’s University and of course, he’s off to the races these days. All the while, we have a young woman coming to live with us starting today for the fall semester. Did I say busy?
I have to say my schedule these days feels like the song “Breathe”. Love the words….
Alarm clock screaming bare feet hit the floor
It’s off to the races everybody out the door
I’m feeling like I’m falling behind, it’s a crazy life
Ninety miles an hour going fast as I can
Trying to push a little harder trying to get the upper hand
So much to do in so little time, it’s a crazy life
It’s ready, set, go it’s another wild day
When the stress is on the rise in my heart I feel You say just
(chorus)
Breathe, just breathe
Come and rest at My feet
And be, just be
Chaos calls but all you really need
Is to just breath….) 2015 Centricity Music Publishing/ Johny Diaz
How do we not go crazy in the craziness? By taking God up with his invitation to come and rest at His feet. Yes, rest at his feet even while the chaos calls. 
What does that look like? For me, it’s starting my day reading God’s word and praying for Him to help throughout the day. I pray about my meetings. I pray about what I need wisdom for. I pray about having a calm spirit when I feel rung out. I don't leave the house without time with God. 
Mark 1:35-39 describes Jesus rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark and going out to a desolate place to pray. Simon and those with him searched for him and chided him “Everyone is looking for you!”Jesus seemed to be quite nonchalant about things saying “Let’s get going to the next town so I can preach there! That’s why I came.”
Jesus was a very busy man too! Kevin Deyoung in his book “Crazy Busy” writes “He was busy, but never in a way that made him frantic, anxious, irritable, proud, envious, or distracted by lesser things. Jesus knew the difference between urgent and important. He understood that all the good things he could do were not necessarily the things He ought to do.”
I want to take my cues from Jesus. He will get me through this busy time, not just surviving, but thriving as I look to Him for how it’s done. Just breathe. Come and let's rest at His feet.
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment