Monday, August 26, 2019

Inability to Speak

This past week, I had gum surgery. I highly don’t recommend this procedure, (because of the sheer torture) but it’s one of those things that happen as you get older. You get to go for two days without speaking and when you do actually speak, it’s not pretty, because everything is swollen out of control. 
I saw something on social media this week that totally connected with my inability to speak. The question was: Which is the HARDEST for you to say? 1. I love you. 2. I was wrong, I’m sorry. 3. I need help.  4. Worcestershire Sauce.  5. I appreciate you.
At first, I said, Worcestershire Sauce, cause I’ve had trouble with that since I was a little kid. But, upon second thought, I think all the rest are hard too! It’s so easy to take people for granted and not express my love for them. Of course, it’s often hard for me to tell someone that I was wrong and I’m sorry. Who else, like me, hates to admit they need help?  I do love to appreciate people, but often forget to do so.
So, what does one learn when you can’t speak? For me, I learned the power of words. When I could only say a few words, I wanted to make each one count. I wanted them to be the RIGHT words. I thought before a spoke. I was intentional, because the pain and swelling forced me to limit what I said.
As we go about our workday, remember that our tongue has the power of life and death. (Proverbs 18:21) In James 3:9-10, it says “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.”  Words are powerful. They mark us forever. How many of you have been deeply hurt by what someone said to you? All of us.
When we know God, the Spirit of God lives in us and partners with us to help us renovate our tongues. God welcomes helping you create a new habit to replace an old habit of speech. Stop reacting with anger or irritability.  Be determined to not give in to gossip. Stop yelling, cursing and belittling others. Become aware of your words and tone of voice. Realize how you say what you say can crush another human being.
I’m so thankful that each day I’m speaking a bit better. But what I really want, what I really long for, is to speak better in WHAT I say. I want God to be pleased with my words and others to be encouraged.
“Guard your tongue, and use it for good instead of evil. How many marriages or friendships have been destroyed because of criticism that spiraled out of control. How many relationships have broken down because of a word spoken thoughtlessly or in anger? A harsh word can’t be taken back; no apology can fully repair its damage.” Billy Graham
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment