Monday, August 5, 2019

Hope in a Crazy World

The shootings that have occurred this past month have been so tragic. While working out at the Y on Saturday at noon, I watched another shooting unfold, this time at a Walmart in El Paso. Mayor Dee Margo said of the shooting “This is a tragedy we would have never ever thought would happen in El Paso.” Sadly, tragedy can happen anywhere at anytime to anybody. How do we live in light of such sobering tragedies?
I sometimes wonder why God allows such tragedies? Couldn’t He do something about Him since He is omniscient? God knows what will happen tomorrow, next week, the week after that, next year and the next decade. So, why doesn’t He stop these things from happening?
This world is not a safe place. Since the days of Adam and Eve, our world is full of sin. Yes, we may get shot in a mass shooting. We may get hit by a car. We may fall and hurt ourselves. We may get cancer. That is reality. God knows the pain and suffering we encounter in this world and He had a plan. Jesus Himself left the safety of being the Son of God to come to this earth for 30 years and took on our sin, to pay the penalty of death.
So, Jesus gets this crazy world. He died a torturous, slow death. He wants to give us His greatest gift-eternal life. There is gut-wrenching pain in this world. I think we all know that deep in our souls, there’s got to be something better. To be sure, though, God offers each of us a better place. Life with Him forever.
Just recently, I did something that was a bit fearful to me. Yet, I invited God to go with me, help me, give me confidence, strength and an ability to conquer my fear. I found myself repeating over and over in my mind “The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous runs into it and is safe.” (Proverbs 18:10) And just like that, I walked through the circumstance with His confidence and peace! It occurred to me that I am always safe in Him, even though something bad may happen to me.
No matter what happens to you, God can be there for you! He longs to have a relationship with you! We live in a world where people don’t follow God’s ways, but God will still take the horrible circumstances and bring about His plan in the midst of them.
Start your day by saying a prayer for those who are injured, have lost loved ones and those somehow impacted by this shooting. Pray, really pray for them. Ask God to give you a sensitive heart for those that are suffering, not only today, but always. Open up your dusty Bible and be willing to see His plan amidst the craziness of our day. There is hope. There is healing. There is perfect love. His name is Jesus.
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment