Monday, June 24, 2019

Where Did I Lose My Patience?

It was my third time back to the car dealer to fix a recall on my relatively new car. Each time I went, I was hopeful that THIS time it would be fixed. Third time’s a charm, right?
With high hopes, I dropped off my key fab and watched the young man drive my car back to the service area. He looked pretty anxious; it had to be his first day on the job! It wasn’t about 30 minutes later that I find out that he had driven my car into something in the service area. Now, I’m in a rental while they fix the damage to my car.  
How we handle these type of things are super important. I was so tempted to get angry and frustrated and let them know a thing or two.  Thankfully, I was calm, while sharing my frustration, but understanding the young man just had an accident.  I’m not happy about this ongoing car saga, but I do think a side benefit is a lesson in patience. I think God wants me to teach me some patience.
Why patience? Because I struggle with patience. I can get easily irritated at slow drivers. Bad service. Replying all. People who have more that 15 items at express checkout. Using both armrests on a plane.  Just goofy things, but that’s my list.
Why is God so patient with me time after time when I mess up? Well, it’s because God IS patience. In 1 Corinthians 13:4 it states “Love is patient, love is kind.”  God is also love (1 John 4:16) He doesn’t lose patience because He is love!
How do we demonstrate God’s love with others? By showing patience when the car dealer rams your car into something while trying to fix something else. By letting the busy patron go ahead of you at HEB.  By refraining from honking your horn when someone deserves a good ole’ horn honk. By showing grace, patience and kindness even when you get so irritated with a grumpy member.
When we’re patient in an impatient world, we embody God’s character and love. It’s rare, isn’t it?
I’m so thankful today that God is patient with me. He puts up with my foibles and flaws and loves me with unconditional love. When I respond to situations and people with patience, I’m just giving away God’s love. Who doesn’t need God’s love?
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment