Monday, June 10, 2019

Stuck in the Mud

I watched closely as the ominous dark clouds formed at the ranch. Finally, I thought it best to leave. I drove home, every so often checking the skies behind me. Finally, the sky began to fall. Cats and dogs and more cats and dogs. I made it home just in the nick of time.
The next day, I made a trip out to the ranch to check on Daisy, my horse. I was met with downed limbs, no power and a ton of mud. The further I traipsed toward her, the heavier my boots got. There’s not much you can do when you’re stuck in the mud.
Thankfully, my boots are now sitting on the porch in 95-degree weather drying out. Soon, they will be back to normal usage, as will the ranch.
Sooner or later, we all can experience getting stuck in the mud...
  • Manuevering through a relational challenge.
  • Getting finances back on track.
  • Stuck in something that's not your best.
  • Making the same mistake over and over.
I’m thankful I realized how inept I am at getting unstuck many years ago. Oh, yes, there are things I must do; but I can also ask God for help. God longs for us to come to Him in good times and bad. He loves when we turn to Him for help out of a sticky situation!
Psalm 40:1-2 says “I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”  Do you need a firm place to stand today?
I can honestly tell you, I’ve been in enough predicaments in my life that felt like thick mud and mire. I could make some good attempts to get out of them, but it was when I called upon God that things changed. He hears my cries. He is the only One able to lift me out of that slimy pit.
Summer is here. Where are you stuck?  What needs to happen to get unstuck? Invite God into your messes. He’s been known to make you lighter and freer than you ever thought possible.
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment