Monday, November 5, 2018

Daylight Disarray

Dayight savings time goofs me up every time. Even after enjoying an extra hour of sleep, I find myself in a bit of disarray. Even our dog is messed up...."Where’s my food? Why haven’t we left for our walk yet? Why isn’t it time for bed?"  It’s just a few days of disarray for all in our house.

I need a bit of encouragement to start my week. Maybe you do too! So, cheers to giving our disarray to God…

Starting the week tired? Lord, in those moments where I’m dragging, please lift me up and give me rest. Help me learn from you the rhythms of life. You created time and have given me 24 hours each day. Please help me use it well with the strength that you can provide. Lord, help me find moments to relax, and not feel guilty doing so. Help my soul find rest in You. (Psalm 62:1)

Feeling overwhelmed? Lord, I pray for your peace today. Break through my feelings of stress, anxiety and worry that have crept in my mind. You remind me that I don’t need to be anxious about anything, but by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present my requests to you. (Philippians 4:6-7) Today, Lord, I give you my stressors. Please allow me to experience the joy of allowing you to carry them. Give me insight in how to manage my busy day, living in your abundance. 

Upcoming meetings? Lord, sometimes, I go crazy over the amount of meetings I have! Yet, help me, this week, to look at every appointment-every person, as someone created in your image who deserves my whole self, my full attention and my best self. Help me treat all people with love and honor. Help me remember that you delight in giving me wisdom, discernment, and guidance I need in every meeting I have.

Heavy heart? It’s hard to tuck away the stuff I carry into my work-week, Lord. Whether it’s a ailing parent or a sick child, a fear about the future or a fractured relationship, it’s hard not to let my mind drift there. Yet, Lord, you can do so much more if I give you my burdens, large or small. You literally desire to carry them for me! Your Word says “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)  Lord, be the strength of my heart today.  

So, if you’re feeling it or not, this Monday morning can be a wonderful day! Today is a gift. You will never get it back again. Please know that your Heavenly Father delights in extending His hand to you today. He is very present and available. He is personal and longs to tend to your every need. Just invite Him into your day.

“Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!” Isaiah 30:18

“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment