Monday, November 19, 2018

Crumbs on the Counter

My friend, Lori, lives near the fires in Paradise, California. Her young son’s best friend and mom barely escaped from the Campfire. Here is the mom’s story:

“So we tallied up the hours spent in the cement lot and it was over 6. Never in a million years did I imagine that I would be leading my ill son and a puppy on foot to evacuate a fire. Yes, on foot! We left Magalia within 2 minutes of the evacuation call. But Paradise had just been hit. Police told us over a loudspeaker to abandon cars and head south. Luckily, we were able to walk to a parking lot, and were soon to get down and cover with anything we had. They had warned us that if a chopper dumped water onto us that we had to brace for impact. They yelled to us to stay down, it was going to get hot. The wind blasted around us with debris, embers, ash. People screamed. People prayed. I think someone was singing. Then the explosions went off. All around us was on fire, with no way out. I quietly made my peace. My son Anthony, who said he was so grateful that his little brother Domnic wasn’t there. We said the Lord’s Prayer together, holding hands and just waiting it out. And then, miraculously, it eventually passed (after hours) enough for us to get up. Anthony helped people in wheel chairs and took water cups to people with dogs. Reminded me to drink water. My eleven-year old hero. And then, finally, finally, over 6 hours later, we were allowed to drive through the Apocalypse that was Paradise, and reunite with Dominic. Thank you God. Sadly, we lost the house. We are thanking God for what we kept. Each other.” Dacia

As Lori was sharing with me this story, she told me about a personal ah-ha moment. She had asked her son to clean the crumbs off the counter earlier. Irritated, the crumbs were still on the counter later that evening. But, before she could complain to her son, she stopped herself: “I have a countertop. I have a house. I haven’t lost everything like so many people around me. Why am I upset about a few crumbs?” She told me on the phone “I’m trying to be thankful for the little things and stop grumbling.”

As you gather around your Thanksgiving table this week, there’s bound to be some thing that brings a bit of irritation your way. (Waiting at HEB, burning a dish, traffic jam, a relative that needs extra grace, or even an argument with your spouse.) Stop for a moment. What is this week all about? Gratitude. Being grateful for the gifts that God has given us. When you live a life of gratitude, grumbling dissipates.

Take note, even Dacia, the mom who escaped the fire, was able to be grateful! My friend, Lori, in the non-stop chaos in her town of Chico, has found things to be grateful for. This mindset will get them both through the difficult days ahead. So, no matter what is gong on in your life, you can choose gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving!

“Start your day by writing down 5 things your thankful for and then, at night, before your head hits the pillow, write down 5 more things that your grateful for from that day. Call that your gratitude journal. See how your perspective changes over time.” Nancy Abbott

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment