Monday, November 12, 2018

A Way of Love

Zoe, our English Springer Spaniel, has been in training to be a therapy dog. My husband, being a bit pessimistic, thought Zoe would flunk out. As our training progressed, it was clear that Zoe had a very bad problem of greeting people by jumping.  

This past Monday, Zoe passed her test! I called my husband who was out of town to tell him the good news. Well, she passed, but by the skin of her teeth! My trainer gave me the caveat “I want you to promise me that you’ll work with Zoe on….”

Zoe intensely loves people. She can’t wait to greet you and pour out love. She loves to cuddle up and gaze into your eyes as her tummy is being rubbed. Even with her bad habit, Zoe (and other doggies) can teach us so much about love.

In the bible, there was a dude named Onesiphorus, who really knew how to love well. I don’t know who his momma was, but she was quite creative in the name department. Onesiphorus wasn’t the most popular guy in the Bible as he’s only mentioned twice, but in 2 Timothy 1:16-17, Paul speaks of him from his prison cell: "May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains, but when he arrive in Rome, he searched for me earnestly and found me.”  

Onesiphorus was a personal friend of Paul’s and a huge blessing to him. His name actually means “bringing profit.”  Onesiphorus stayed with Paul through thick and thin. He visited him in prison, which was dangerous in those days. He was determined to be a blessing to Paul. 

There has been so much negativity in the world around us lately. Sometimes, I just want to cocoon myself from all the negative noise and suffering! But, God calls us to a different way of life. A way of love…..like Onesiphorus! You and I can bring profit to others, with God’s grace!

As you prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday, whom can you extend kindness to? Who might need a card in the mail or a gift card “just because?” Are you determined to be a blessing to others? Do you withhold love from some and give freely to others?

We don’t need to have our act together to live like this. But, what we do need is a whole lot of God and way less of us. People are hurting all around us. Let’s be a palpable taste of God’s heart today.  

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment