Monday, June 25, 2018

The Country Club Near Disaster


My first real job was a dishwasher at the Shelby Country Club. I was never really good at 
cleaning dishes, so I was ecstatic the day I moved up the country club ladder and became 
a full-fledged waitress. I couldn’t wait to get my cute red ruffled uniform and white shoes 
that went with the job. Soon, I was making milk shakes, serving ice cream bars and hot 
dogs to wet pool kids needing sustenance.

The day soon came that I would be working evening dinner shift. I would need to memorize 
the menu, answer questions, get their drink orders, serve the meal and basically look like 
I knew what I was doing. What could go wrong? 

One night, on a busy evening, I was given a particular section of tables near the front of 
the dining room.  I still remember the exact table where it happened. Mr. Lederer, the
President of the Country Club at the time, came in with his family. He was in my section! 
Not to look incompetent, I ran back to the kitchen and freaked out with my fellow staff. 
After reassurance from the kitchen staff, I went back out into the dining room, with 
confidence and a bright smile, took their order. All went well until it was time to deliver the 
meals.

I came out with this hefty tray filled with dangling dinner plates. Instead of setting my hefty 
tray down on the tray stand, I tried to balance it while distributing the dishes to the family members.  Everything went downhill at that point if you know what I mean. Mr. Lederer’s 
meal landed in his lap and not sure what else went where. Everything went 
ever-which-aways. This is Texan for “scattered in all directions.”

At this point, I lost all memory of what took place. I was horrified. The only thing I 
remember was Mr. Lederer’s response. He was so kind, so gracious and so encouraging 
as I tried to clean things up. His response went a long way for a young kid. We all need 
more Mr. Lederer’s around.

That near disaster didn’t destroy my waitress career at all. In fact, I waitressed all the way 
through college and loved it. I could have just thrown in the towel (and the tray) that day 
and called it quits. But I didn’t. Since those country club days, I’ve had a lot of jobs. I’ve 
had some successes and some failures. I believe God intentionally allows us to fail at 
times. My failures are a constant reminder of how much I need Him. God teaches me 
in my failures…if I let Him.

Bob Goff in his amazing book “Love Does” had a similar waiter experience. He writes 
“Things that go wrong can shape us or scar us. I’ve had some things go well in my life 
and some things not go so well, just like you. More have gone well than have gone 
poorly, but I’m not trying to keep score because I have a different way I measure those 
things now. God finds us in our failures and our successes, and He says that while we 
used to think one way about things, now He wants us to think another way about those 
same things. And for me I’ve realized that I used to be afraid of failing at the things that 
really mattered to me, but now I’m more afraid of succeeding at things that don’t matter.” 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment