Monday, June 18, 2018

Summer Refreshment

I know summer has been going on for quite some time in San Antonio, but it officially starts this week! We’re halfway through June and I feel a bit behind in setting some summer fun goals. 

I’m hoping for some great summer fun, whether it be riding my horse at the barn, swimming in our local pool and kayaking on the Guadelupe River. If I don’t watch out, summer can get away from me. I can get caught up with my to-do lists, chores, packing and unpacking for vacations and preparations for fall.

We are so valuable to God and our time is as well! What kinds of things do you want to make SURE you do this summer? Do you have certain goals you’d like to accomplish? Think about how you might incorporate some of these things you’re your summer:

Reading certain books
Doing some exercise competition (5K, Triathlon, Golf tournament, etc)
Going dancing
Starting a new eating plan
Learning a new language
Developing a prayer life
Visiting a state park
Volunteering for a non-profit
Taking a break and do nothing

Take a break and do NOTHING? Yes, do nothing! Most of us work extremely hard each day, giving and serving others. We don’t need to feel guilty for relaxing. It’s OK. I believe God loves when we take a rest and throw our schedule out the window.

If you operate non-stop seven days a week with little breaks, eventually it will catch up with you.  "When we burn the candle at both ends we….
- Lose sight of what we enjoy in our work
- Find even the things we enjoy doing become a chore
- Fail to give people the gift of our attention and presence
- Impair our abilty to hear God’s voice and discern his movement in our lives
- Become obsessive about the to-do list"
(Adele Calhoun, Spiritual Disciplines Handbook, pp. 64)

When was the last time you really rested and took a break? How hard is it for you to relax…really relax? What do you do for fun and play? What can you do to incorporate some refreshing activities (including rest) into your summer? Here’s an invitation to make it the best summer ever!

"He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul."Psalm 23:2-3

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of the Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment