Monday, June 11, 2018

Reckless Love

There was a bunch of tax collectors and sinners who drew close to Jesus to listen to Him. Right then, the Pharisees and scribes began to grumble saying “This man receives sinners and eats with them.” So guess what Jesus did? He told a parable! 

“Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn’t you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it? When found, you can be sure you would put it across your shoulders, rejoicing, and when you got home call in your friends and neighbors, saying, “Celebrate with me! I’ve found my lost sheep!’ Count on it- there’s more joy in heaven over one sinner’s rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue.” (Luke 15:4-7, The Message)

This parable was not a real life situation, but a story with a meaning. Those around Jesus would be very familiar with sheep. The shepherd had an important role and often risked his life to protect the sheep from the dangers around. The sheep were very important and the shepherd’s goal was to keep every one of them safe and protected. 

This is the kind of love that God has for us. It’s real. Very real. And His love has no bounds. He receives all! Isn’t that what the world is longing for?

Yet, some find God and conversations about Him very uncomfortable. It’s hard to make sense of God. When we don’t know what to do with God, it’s easier to keep Him at a distance. We run to other pastures, thinking they bring life and happiness.

Why not make God a part of your summer? Get to know the One who loves you so much. Start by reading the Gospels and get to know this Jesus who left the Pharisees and scribes speechless. Model your life and work after His life. He did it right.

Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me.
You have been so, so good to me
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me
You have been so, so kind to me
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights ‘til I’m found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn’t earn it, and I don’t deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God…….. (Give a listen to this amazing song… Reckless love, by Cory Asbury)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment