Monday, February 1, 2016

Sharing Emoticons

I love being a girl. We are privy to having hundreds of different feelings and emotions all in a 24 hour period. No joke. In one day, I can be full of excitement, miserable, impatient, mad, sad, angry, joyful, loving and thrilled. This was one of those weeks. It started last Monday with the Spurs-Warriors game. Insert sad face here. Good thing we have emoticons to express our feelings. I can't imagine what I'd do without emoticons. Meh.
 
In a week's time, you probably go through some significant emotions too. It can be a myriad of things that cause such emotions- anything from losing a loved one, conflict at work, winning free tickets to a concert or an exciting new work endeavor. Life is full of stress that can lead to emotions getting the best of us. These feelings can well up in your spirit to the point where you can lose your cool. Of course, none of us have done this.
 
Emotions are present in our workplace. In relationships. In parent-child relationships. In marriage. Commuting to work. We often just assume we should just stuff feelings and emotions. Our emotions aren't bad; they're actually a gift from God. He wants us to fully experience life and created us with emotions. Some of us, recognizing we can't "show" our emotions fully at work, decide to just stuff them indefinitely. Sooner or later, this will significantly impact your relationships with God and others.
 
Consider these questions…. Do you have a habit of hiding your emotions? Do you periodically feel unglued emotionally? Do you come across stoic and always "appear" together? Are you able to admit your struggles? Do you tend to stuff your emotions or explode? Do you wear your emotions on your sleeve? Are you able to take an honest assessment at how you manage your own emotions? Would others consider you emotionally healthy? We could benefit from reading and learning more about our own emotional health.
 
I love how God created us with emotions! But, if I don't allow the Lord to deal with emotions that are negative, these emotions will deal with me and those I serve. Because our emotions are so hard to figure out, I need help from God to handle them. I bet you do too. Let's start this day with a prayer: "Dear Father, Help me know more of myself so that I might better know you, God. Your Bible says that I am to be still and know that you are God. Today, I need you to be my God. Lead me to a greater vision of who you are in my life. In doing so, help me to see myself, my true self- the good, the bad and the ugly. Help me not to deny the pain, losses and feelings that I have in life, but to be free to be me with you and others. Help me not to react quickly but act rightly with love. Let love be my greatest aim. In Jesus' name, Amen."  Have a great week!
 
"Self care is never a selfish act-it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to true self and give it the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch." Parker Palmer.
 
"The Bible does not spin the flaws and weaknesses of its heroes. Moses was a murderer. Hosea's wife was a prostitute. Peter rebuked God! Noah got drunk. Jonah was a racist. Jacob was a liar. John Mark deserted Paul. Elijah burned out. Jeremiah was depressed and suicidal. Thomas doubted. Moses had a temper. Timothy had ulcers. And all these people send the same message: that every human being on earth, regardless of their gifts and strengths, is weak, vulnerable, and dependent on God and others." Peter Scazzero, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment