Monday, January 25, 2016

Spurs: Quietly Going About Their Business

So, have you paid attention to what our San Antonio Spurs are doing lately? Let's just say, we should savor these exciting days, Spurs fans. They are indeed special. The big three- Tim, Tony and Manu are playing fantastic. Kawhi Leonard was just selected for the NBA- All-Star Game. Boban-Mania is at an all-time high. Boris Diaw is enjoying a new expresso machine in his locker room and sharing well. And Jonathan Simmons continues to do Jonathan Simmons-type things. Pop is resting Tim Duncan again because he's 57 years old in basketball years. Oh, and I can't forget, the Spurs have won 32 straight at home.

As you know, our Spurs really enjoy staying under the radar. Each morning, I do a quick ESPN check for the day. You have to look long and hard to find headlines on the Spurs. I find that astounding, but normal. In fact, a few days ago, I caught a segment of the Dan Patrick Sports Show on the way to work. I quote Patrick: "The San Antonio Spurs are quietly going about their business." I chuckled. Now isn't that just a perfect statement? Quietly going about their business. The Spurs don't care if they didn't make the ESPN headlines. The Spur players don't care if they don't get the great individual stats others do. The Spurs players aren't splashy OR flashy. The Spurs have respect for other teams and players. The Spurs team look ahead to the next team, not just the big game. (aka, tonight) Every one of these Spurs players are unique, yet together, they can achieve so much more! TEAM basketball!

Have you considered how you go about doing your business? Are you consumed with seeking others' attention and/or the limelight? Do you find yourself in circles quick to speak, but slow to listen? Are you able to control your tongue and speak respectfully of others? Do you seek out those who are new on the team and help them grow? Are you thrilled when others excel beyond you? Do you do what you say you will do? When was the last time you put someone down in front of someone else? Would others describe you as an outstanding team player?

I love this quote from Mother Teresa: "These are the few ways we can practice humility: To speak as little as possible of one's self. To mind one's own business. Not to want to manage other people's affairs. To avoid curiosity. To accept contradictions and correction cheerful. To pass over the mistakes of others. To accept insults and injuries. To accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked. To be kind and gentle even under provocation. Never to stand on one's dignity. To choose always the hardest." Mother Teresa, The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

OK… honestly, I can't come close to living these beautiful aspirations without God at my side. God embodies humility! I need God to help me live this kind of beautiful life! I am way too selfish and self-centered without God. So, this week, I am going to pick TWO of the sentences above that I need to grow in. I'm not telling you what they are, but trust me, I need help! I challenge you to PICK TWO that you can grow in. Pray about these and ask God to help you practice humility in these areas. Spurs fans, how can YOU quietly go about your business this week? #justlikethespurs #gospursgo #beatgoldenstatewarriors #quietlygoingaboutyourbusiness

"And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you…" 1 Thessalonians 4:11
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment