Monday, January 4, 2016

Hopes and Prayers for 2016

I've really enjoyed the last few weeks of the holidays. The wonder of Christmas
and all that brings. The non-scheduled time for reading, baking and hanging
out with friends and family. Fewer emails. Not so many deadlines. The slower
pace has made me think a lot about my own life and hopes for the new year.
My attitude. My character. My work. My relationships.
 
I thought about this question: Who would I like to be on December 31, 2016?
Yes, that's right. Next year. What kind of person do I hope to become by
next year at this time? What character traits do I need to strengthen? What
attitudes do I need to work on? The prayer below summarizes some of
my hopes of who I would like to become. I love setting goals, but need
God's help in seeing them happen. So, I pray for these things, not just
today, but throughout the year. I work to become a different person as
well. So, here goes:
 
Lord, may I not be so demanding of my own rights. Help me freely let
others go first in a line, cut in front of me on a freeway and just have
the joy of letting others be first. Help me practice giving honor and
preference to others. Crunch the "me-first" attitude that still exists in me.
 
Lord, without love, I am nothing. Let me remember to daily clothe myself with your compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Help me love others well. May I follow your example found in the Gospels of loving well. 
 
Lord, may I enter this New Year with less worry and angst about things I can't change or have no control over. Help me to pray more and worry less about all things. Allow Philippians 4:6-7 to become a reality in my life.
 
Lord, may I be more inclined to listen first and talk second with others. Let me be more interested in hearing from someone else, rather than having to share my opinion.
 
Lord, may I learn to live more by the rhythms of your peace and less by the up and down circumstances that life has to offer. May peace reign in my heart, no matter what happens in my life or the world around me.
 
Lord, during this year, there will be times when others might hurt, disappoint, and overlook me. May this remind me of my great need for You and that you will never let me down.
 
Lord, even though I love you, I often find myself reaching out to other things and people to fill the void that you alone can fill. May I apprehend more and more the enough-ness of God and live in your fullness each day.
 
Lord, I am tempted to judge others in silly ways that people judge others these days. Putting others down to lift ourselves up is seen as "normal."  I can be just as guilty. Help me look for ways to encourage, pray and support those in my life.
 
Lord, May I keep my focus much more on what matters in life, than those things that don't matter "squat."  So little time; too many distractions. Keep me focused!

Here are a few of my own prayers that I have tucked into my 2016 prayer journal. How about you? Who do you want to be by the end of December, 2016? Prayer changes things. Prayer changes you. Prayer changes me.  Happy New Year!
 
"Is anyone crying for help? God is listening ready to rescue you. If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, He'll help you catch your breath." Psalm 34:17-18 MSG
 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment