Monday, February 22, 2016

Let's Not Lose Sight of What's Important

 
Many of you probably heard about Oklahoma City Thunder assistant coach Monty Williams losing his wife, Ingrid, in a head on collision after the driver of an SUV
lost control of their car and swerved into her lane. Monty recently gave a very inspiring eulogy at his wife's funeral. He ended his speech with this:
 
"I'm going to close with this, and I think it's the most important thing that we
need to understand. Everybody's praying for me and my family, which is right.
But let us not forget that there were two people in this situation. And that family needs prayer as well. And we have no ill will toward that family. In my house, we have a sign that says, 'As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' We
cannot serve the Lord if we don't have a heart of forgiveness. That family didn't
wake up wanting to hurt my wife. Life is hard. It is very hard. And that was
tough. But we hold no ill will toward the Donaldson family. And we, as a group, brothers united in unity, should be praying for that family, because they grieve
as well. So let's not lose sight of what's important."
 
When bad things happen, we don't always respond like Monty Williams. What is demonstrated here is a man of faith that trusts God in the good times and the
bad times. He challenged those at his wife's funeral and all of us to a different
way of life….a life of faith. Monty wasn't able to respond like that because he
was a "strong" person. I'm sure he's shed plenty of tears and will continue to.
It was God that helped him have such poise and grace after just losing his wife.
It was God that gave him such confidence to speak with conviction and passion.
t was God who helped him bring up the topic of forgiveness. You see, many of us reading this might not respond the way Monty did. The person driving the other
car made a horrible mistake and that mistake was costly. Two precious lives. But,
it did not deter Monty from choosing a heart of forgiveness, even asking others to pray for the Donaldson family. 
 
Monty Williams is right. Life is hard. Who knows when tragedy will strike? Who
knows when something will happen that will shake our world? How do you keep
your perspective in a world wrought with such tragedy and pain? I believe God
used Monty Williams this week to remind us what's really important.
 
Williams stated "This is hard for my family, but this will work out. And my wife
would punch me if I were to sit up here and whine about what is going on. That doesn't take away the pain, but it will work out because God causes all things to work out. You just can't quit; you can't give in."
 
Lots of lessons for today! Choosing forgiveness when someone wrongs us. Courage
in the face of grief. Let's not lose sight of what's important. God is with us in good times and horrible times. He is a breath away and there to support us through the fiery trials that weigh us down. No one will miss fiery trials on earth. They will come sooner or later. Will we be men and women of faith, convinced that God will see us through, no matter what?
 
3)"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed, For I am thy God and will still
give thee aid; I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by
My righteous, omnipotent hand. 4) When through the deep waters I call thee to
go, the rivers of sorrow shall not overflow. For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress. 5) When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, my grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply. The flames shall
not hurt thee; I only design. Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine." (Verses 3-5 of How Firm a Foundation, by John Keene)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment