Monday, June 12, 2023

Needy

Managing grief is an oxymoron. It doesn’t make a bit of sense. How do you manage it? In just a short amount of time, I can get all teary-eyed, thinking about my dad and his death. The next minute I’m putting my groceries into the wrong buggy at HEB. The next minute, I’m laughing hysterically at a friend’s GIF. The next minute, I’m so exhausted I can hardly think straight. I’m all over the map and the map is bigger than the state of Texas.


Call me ditzy, fine. Call me, needy, yes! I guess being “needy” isn’t often adored or thumbed up on Facebook, right? Self-reliance is great. Being needy is bad, right? Wrong. Being needy means I can’t handle things myself. No one likes being needy unless we know the One who fills our neediness with Himself. So, in reality, I can experience more of God as I run to Him in my neediness. 

We live in a world that is full speed ahead most of the time. The constant pressures of life, commitments, and busyness make it so easy to forget that we need God in our lives. Until we do. When things go south, we struggle to know what to do. We were not meant to carry life’s burdens on our own. David, the Psalmist, knew He needed God and prayed to God in Psalm 143:8:

 “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I entrust my life.”

David was praying a prayer in what felt like a hopeless situation. He was crying out to God in a time of crisis because of his enemy, Saul. David had learned that no matter how dark things were or how much sorrow he carried, He could be confident that God was his help and strength. He knew he needed God! In some translations, the words “Let the morning bring me word” is translated as “Cause me to hear.” David needed to hear a good word from God. No doubt, you and I do too!

Call me needy, but I need constant reminders of God’s unfailing love throughout the day, just like David in this Psalm. David confessed he didn’t know the way to go. He needed God to show him the way. He didn’t just need to cling to God’s unfailing love, but he needed the guidance of God. A wonderful prayer for all of us is “Show me the way I should go, God.”

It’s God’s assurance of his unfailing love that allows us to go through the uncertainties and challenges that life brings. Whether it’s grieving a loss, losing a job, leaving home, loss of a relationship, or a traumatic event, our God is so present and available to each of us. Just like the Psalmist David, we can come to Him and pray.

I don't mind being needy today. For God always meets me in my need.
I love singing "Same God" in Spanish, Oh Dios te necesito, Oh Dios te necesito hoy, Te necesito hoy.... but here's the English version: (Same God, Elevation Worship) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LawxIZE9ePE

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment