Monday, June 19, 2023

Home

Nikola Jokic, with the Denver Nuggets, was fun to watch in the NBA finals. I was especially intrigued by his excitement to go home, now that his team had won the championship. 

As soon as the game was over, he went immediately to his family and began the celebration. When asked what it feels like to win the championship, Jokic responded: “It’s good. It’s good. The job is done. We can go home now.” He just wants to go home. Even more interesting, he wanted to get back to his horse racing in Serbia.

I really liked Jokic’s humility and perspective on the game of basketball. He had won his first-ever NBA championship, yet that wasn’t the most important thing to him. Home was the most important thing.

It’s been said that “Home is where the heart is.” That can mean that wherever our loved ones are, that is our home. It may or may not be the place they grew up in. Just recently, while in Ohio, we went by the place I grew up in. The owner was outside and was happy to show us around. I was amazed at how small everything appeared to be on the property! I was no longer looking at it through the eyes of a child. It looked so different, yet the main buildings and landmarks were still there. As I went back memory lane, I remembered it was home then, but not anymore.

Paul in Ephesians 3:17 prays “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.” Paul was speaking to Christians who had Christ living in them. He was praying that Christ might dwell, abide, settle down, and be at home in their hearts. The word “dwell” literally means to “take up residence”.  So, in essence, Paul was praying that Christians might make their hearts the home of the Lord Jesus Christ. (Francis Dixon, Home in the Heart)

How do we make guests in our home feel welcome? When we have guests at our home, I like to call them “visiting dignitaries.” They’re special and we serve them the best we have. We give them the freedom to enjoy the whole house. We share fun and exciting things to do in the area but also give them the freedom to just hang out. We draw them into conversation, not always talking about us, but getting to know them.

So, it is with Jesus Christ. I want to welcome Jesus into my life each day. That’s why it’s a priority to take the time in the morning to read His word, pray, meditate on Scripture, and give Him my day. As I do this, I try to pray to Him and keep Him close throughout the day. I ask for wisdom, strength, guidance, help, discernment, courage, ability to love and show compassion to all I meet. I sense His presence throughout my day! When we invite Jesus into our lives, we give Him the run of our hearts all day long!

I’m so grateful that Jesus longs for us to talk to Him and be on intimate speaking terms with Him. To think Christ can dwell in our own hearts is just amazing! Is Christ at home in your heart? Invite Him in.

“Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.”  Ephesians 3:16 (NLT)
Take a listen as we invite God into our hearts today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSBmRAVXNc

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment