Monday, March 6, 2023

Luckenbach, Texas

Luckenbach, Texas nestled in the Texas Hill Country is certainly worth a visit, especially for the great bands and dancing. I love it!

What you might not know is the man who founded Luckenbach, Jacob Luckenbach. He was 90 years old when he passed in 1907. @Traces of Texas writes “I can hear the conversation now: ‘No, really, Jacob….75 years from now two men who aren’t even born yet are going to record a song about Luckenbach, Texas, and sell millions of copies of that recording on vinyl platters and your town is going to be famous worldwide.’ I doubt he’d believe you.”

That song, sung by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, is a Texan favorite. It’s a song about a couple whose position in “high society” had placed a strain on their marriage and finances. The song suggests that the couple returns to the basics of love in the small town of Luckenbach. Sound familiar?
 
Let’s go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we’re livin’ 
Got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys…..


I would agree that Jacob Luckenbach would probably be shocked that his little town became a famous country song so many years later. We often don’t consider what the impact of our life might be after we’re gone. Every day, we have an opportunity to make a difference in the world around us. How do we live a life of significance, no matter what age? How can our life matter both now and after we’re gone?

Learn from Jesus in the Gospels- Of course, being Lent, it’s a good time to reflect on the life of Jesus Christ and learn from Him. I love reading through the Gospels because I gain insight into how Jesus lived his life. How he loved. His humility. His love for all. How he engaged those who mocked and insulted Him. How He invested in other leaders. How his life and ministry impact us today.

Perhaps the Scriptures give us a true definition of significance: “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” (Philippians 2:5-8) Jesus gives meaning to making a lasting impact…a life of humility. How might following His life of humility affect you and extend your influence?

Reflect on your own life- I believe periodically doing a spiritual inventory can be helpful. Every so often, I’ll grab my journal and Bible and take time to reflect on my life. I have to surrender my idea of success and look to Jesus to show me how I can make the greatest impact. Most recently, I felt like God directly prodded me to sign up for a mission trip to the Philippines. Why? Working with young moms, teaching, praying, and encouraging them, seemed to fit perfectly with how I’m wired. Staying in synch with God’s plan for my life is so important.

Pray and seek God- What plans may God have for you in this next season? How can you love Him and others well? How can what you do have an impact long after you leave this earth? I encourage You to live like Jesus today. Live for the opinion of One. Through His Holy Spirit, He will guide you and lead you in everything. Prayer is my lifeline! I can’t go without prayer. Prayer keeps us close to Jesus. It’s in prayer that He guides us in all things. And our lives become an extension of His, for His good purpose.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment