Monday, March 20, 2023

Follow His Steps!

I’d like to think I can dance, but Zumba class at the YMCA reminds me I have a long way to go. I’m kind of a newbie to Zumba, so things can only get better from here. My friend and I give ourselves grades for our Zumba dance moves. She’s at a YMCA in California and I’m here in San Antonio. This last time, we both came in with a B-.

Anyone that’s taken Zumba, may know the basics I’m just catching on to. You just follow the instructor. That’s it. Usually, when she does something on one side, you can count on it being on the other side. So, if you’re alert, you can halfway keep up. I usually find myself a step or two or three behind. Sometimes, I follow the person in front of me, until I realize they don’t know what they’re doing either.

The songs are great! Since I’m learning Spanish, I can halfway understand what’s being sung. Then, upon further study, I learned that Zumba choreography is composed using all or some of the sixteen core steps with four basic rhythms, salsa, reggaeton, merengue, and cumbia. Each basic rhythm has four core steps. I was so clueless about all this! 

Periodically, I’ll know the song being played and be able to follow the leader. Today, we did the “The Macarena Dance”, which made me so happy! I could follow it! Then things got even better when out of nowhere, she added “The Way You Make Me Feel” by Michael Jackson. Not real Zumba, but I can dance to Michael Jackson any day of the week.

Just as I follow the Zumba leader closely to do Zumba class, I need God’s leadership to help me live the life that He gave to me. I can’t follow the person in front of me who looks like he or she has it together. Nor can I follow social media, politicians, or influential people. I need to follow the One who gave me life and guides me in this life. I need to follow God. Consider these verses that speak to the God we can always follow:

“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children…” Ephesians 5:1

 “Jesus called out to them, ‘Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!’ And they left their nets at once and followed Him.” Matthew 4:19-20

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27

“Then he said to the crowd, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.’” Luke 9:23

“Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.” Galations 5:25

“Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, ‘I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way should go.’” Isaiah 48:17

God loves you and me so much. He created us and knows everything about how we tick. He longs for a relationship with each one of us! Take a moment and meditate on these verses. What words or phrases describe his leadership? What words or phrases describe your part in following Him?

Follow His steps. It’s quite the journey! Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFna4pEF7M8

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment