Monday, September 30, 2019

Pumpkins and Pause

HEB really tempted me about a month ago to believe that fall was on its way. Every grocery experience began with an enticing pumpkin aroma that made me long for fall. But, it was August, and South Texas and still around 100 degrees. Alas, fall was in the far distant future….
I finally broke down this weekend and bought some mini-pumpkins. Keep in mind, I already am using the Pumpkin-ish Bath and Body scents around the house and by the end of the weekend, I’ll be decorated for fall. Not to mention, it’s time to pull out those oh so yummy pumpkin recipes! Did I mention that my husband hates pumpkin?
Why do I love this time of year so much? What is it about pumpkins that just make me happy? Maybe it’s the reminder that a new season is here, cooler, cozier and complete with fall sorts of things. Even more important, I love lighting a candle, cozying up in a blanket and reading a good book, while listening to the pitter-patter of rain at the window.
When I take the time to pause and enjoy the treasures of fall, I remember that it’s OK to relax. I remember that the world will go on quite well today if I don’t get my to-do list done. And even in my busy season, I will choose to make rest and the things I love a priority.
Why do we always have to be doing something? What would it look like to include 'pause' in your life? When we include God in our rest, it can be vibrant and life changing! He actually invites us to join Him in rest: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest….” (Matthew 11:28) Our confidence in trusting God for our schedules frees us from over-activity that wreaks havoc on our joy. Who doesn’t want to enjoy times of refreshment?
Maybe you need pumpkins and pause in your life this season? Don’t let the days run away from you! This season will never pass this way again. Seize the day, grab a pumpkin and pause.
“If you can’t take time to do nothing, you’re a slave to doing. Doing nothing is a radical, revolutionary act. It frees you from the universal slavery of our age: slavery to the clock. The clock measures doing, but not being.” Peter Kreeft
“Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10
 Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment