Monday, September 23, 2019

Filling the Void

I begrudgingly put on my running shoes for a morning walk. It just wasn’t right going without Zoe, my Springer Spaniel. After all, she ALWAYS goes on walks with me. I forced myself to walk out the door and get it over with.
Zoe had become very ill last week with a bacterial infection and ended up in the animal hospital for most of the week. Her liver levels were extremely high and at one point, we were concerned if she would survive. So, this walk was just an aching reminder of her absence.
I immediately called my dad for our regular chat. After that, I called a friend, but no answer. Drats! For the remainder of the walk, I turned on the radio. Nothing wrong with calling my dad, a friend or turning on the radio. It was just my way of filling the void.
What do you do when you feel a void? Some people resort to alcohol. Others look to unhealthy relationships. Some just busy themselves with activity. Others focus on their stuff. It’s also tempting to think our professional role satisfies our lack. What is your default for filling the void?
The other day on my walk, I was searching for anything to take away my loneliness. God’s word says  “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:13) Matthew 6:33 says “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you.”  Why don’t I run to God first with what I lack?
I didn’t even realize how I was hiding from pain! My “go to idols” never seem to satisfy even though I always give them a try! What if you and I trusted FIRST in God’s goodness and power with what we lack? We don’t just have to grit our teeth and hang on. God wants to walk with us and carry us through everything! 
Elyse Fitzpatrick writes “Idols aren’t just stone statutes. No, idols are the thoughts, desires, longings, and expectations that we worship in the place of the true God. Idols cause us to ignore the true God in search of what we think we need. If we think we need to be loved, more than we need a thriving relationship with God, then we have made the idea of love an idol that we worship over God. We can make other people our gods too, by loving them more than Him.” (Idols of the Heart)
I challenge you to focus on Psalm 23 this week. Read it out loud, over and over. Say a verse or two and then pause to allow God to speak to you. Lean into the all-sufficient Shepherd. He can fill any void. 
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment