Monday, February 4, 2019

Tony Romo and Identity

I wasn’t at all excited about the Super Bowl this year. Once the Dallas Cowboys were eliminated, I lost interest. But, I still enjoyed celebrating the day with friends and family. The best part about the game was listening to Tony Romo, former Dallas Cowboys quarterback serve as a color analyst alongside Jim Nanst. I guess that’s the closest Tony will get to a Super Bowl. I wish it had been with the Cowboys.
Romo is known for his ability to predict plays on live TV. Some are saying he’s the best in the booth these days. It wasn’t that long ago that he was throwing footballs with the Cowboys, so maybe he remembers the defenses he threw against. Maybe he’s just good at what he does.
Romo hasn’t always been known for being good at what he does. Many Cowboy fans criticized him for his quarterback abilities over the years. Once he retired, many of those same people wished him back on the team. Public opinion can be so fickle.
I’ve often wondered how Romo navigated all the love and hate from people. I do believe his faith plays an important role in what really matters. Romo knows his identity isn't in what He does, but who He is in Christ.
When we find our identity in our job title, what happens when the job is gone? When we find our identity in our physical prowess, what happens when you can’t do what you once did? Shocking reminders of life's realities.
You are a child of God! Take that in. God thought about you and created you uniquely and perfectly in His image. You are His masterpiece created in Christ Jesus to do the good works He prepared in advance for you to do. You have a role in God’s kingdom. And what He thinks of you? Well, that’s what matters.
Walk with confidence in Whose you are. Knowing your identity changes everything.
“To the degree that we embrace the truth that our identity is not rooted in our success, power, or popularity, but in God’s infinite love, to that degree can we let go of our need to judge.” Henri J. M. Nouwen
“Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.” 1 Thessalonians 2:4
“Five lies of identity: 1) I am what I have. 2) I am what I do. 3) I am what other people say or think of me. 4) I am nothing more than my worst moment. 5) I am nothing less than my best moment.” Henri J. M. Nouwen

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment