Monday, February 18, 2019

Gentleness: A PR Strategy

Though our culture is getting more cynical and critical by the day, we really don’t have to follow suit. Loving people well goes a long way in life. One way we can love people well is by exhibiting a gentle spirit.
Paul in Philippians 4:5 says “Let your gentleness be evident to all." Gavin Ortland writes “It is easy to be gentle on some occasions, with some people. But this verse seems to be envisioning a public, consistent gentleness. Let everyone see it. Gentleness as a PR Strategy. I love that. We need more gentleness.”
So one way we can love people well is by responding and interacting with gentleness. How would embodying gentleness affect your work, your family, your relationships? 
The Greek word for gentleness is broader than our English word for “gentleness.” The closest word would probably be “forbearance.”  Grant Richison writes “It is a sweet reasonableness toward others. It involves the willingness to yield our personal rights. The word connotes the willingness to show consideration to others. It submits the need for flexibility, pliability.” (Grant Richison, Bible Exposition Commentary)
So, how do we respond when we’re interrupted at work? Or our schedule changes?  Someone disagrees with us? Our children don’t obey? Our plane is delayed 4 hours? A gentle person does not take things the wrong way. A gentle person doesn’t quickly take offense. A gentle person does not take things personally.
I don’t always act naturally with gentleness. Having consistent gentleness requires that I invite Christ into my day-to-day life. He helps me do what I can’t do on my own. In and of myself, I’m sure to blow it. But, Christ before me, behind me and around me helps me build a stronger gentleness into my life. 
“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.” Saint Francis de Sales
"I choose gentleness….Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clency my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.”  Max Lucado
“Jesus never mistreated anyone just because they mistreated Him.” He confronted them in a spirit of gentleness and then continued to love them.” Joyce Meyer
Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment