Monday, August 22, 2016

Conquering Fears

I remember it well. My first day at a Toastmasters meeting. I felt like I was back in first grade all over again. The meeting was held in a Denny's Restaurant every Monday morning in North Dallas off Central Expressway. I was determined to get there early, meet some people and settle into my seat. The room was electric for such an early hour as 7:00 a.m. What would the meeting be like?

As I walked in, I was greeted by what seemed like a bunch of high-powered businessmen and women from around North Dallas. Would I fit in? Would I be able to speak? Then, the dreaded moment came. They asked me to speak! I knew being inconspicuous and hiding in the restroom was not an option. So, I stood up and addressed the audience. I uttered a few words about enjoying the meeting and that I would be back next week. Yikes! What did I just say? I would be back next week. What was I thinking?

I spent the next 10 years in Toastmasters. Why? Because I not only wanted to conquer my fear, but grow into a better speaker and leader. As time went on, I watched God give me opportunities to speak in all sizes of groups here in the states and abroad. Did I still fear? Some, but not as much. With God confidence and consistent training in my weakness, I was able to conquer my fear. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

Her words echo in my mind today. Here I sit, with a wheelchair, crutches and scooter as my new walking partners. Having just had ankle surgery, there is still much discomfort. Unsteadiness. Pain. Fear. Questions. To be honest, there are times I'm afraid I will hurt myself by attempting new things. I'm faced with the challenge that I faced in Toastmasters. You must do the thing you think you cannot do. That is the secret to my future success.

What about you? How does fear grip you? How do you run from risk? Stay in your comfort zone? Easily accept mediocrity? No matter what season of life, we are called to live fully! Even in this temporary challenge I face, I don't want to miss the abundance and joy that God can give me. Today. When things aren't perfect, normal or easy. I don't. I hope you don't either.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

"I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment