Monday, August 8, 2016

Beautiful Feet


I’ve never thought a lot about my feet. Well, to be honest, today I’m dreaming about what it would 
be like to get a really nice pedicure and foot massage. Oh, my feet would feel so incredibly happy!  

But, now my feet are in a different state. Since my accident in Colorado, my right foot is wearing a
Fuschia Teva Sandal it’s lived in for the last 10 days. The left foot, somewhat mangled and bruised, is 
wearing a big ugly black boot.  No doubt, this is a real tough time for these guys. In fact, it’s tough for 
me to even take a look at these guys. Pretty sad.

As I was studying God’s Word this morning, I was studying a verse that spoke about beautiful feet. In
fact, it jumped right out at me! Here it is:

“How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, 
who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.’” 
(Isaiah 52:7 ESV)  As I looked at this verse closely, I saw someone who, no matter what was going on 
in his or her life, would not stop declaring the beautiful message that  “Your God reigns.” 

This morning, I thought about what life would look like if I REALLY believed that passage. If God reigned
in my life, fully and totally, how would I view my circumstances?  God made it clear to me that I could be 
one whom publishes peace and shares the good news of happiness. God made it clear to me that I could 
serve and encourage others, even while I was hurting. What about you? Are you a publisher of peace? 
In the midst of yucky circumstances, are you tethered onto the peace that God alone offers? What is 
keeping you from experiencing this amazing peace?

I know the days ahead with surgery and recovery will not be easy for me. But, today, reading this verse,
gave me a new way to live. I want to be a publisher of peace in the midst of my circumstance. Every day. 
Total peace. Don’t you? What would it look like for you to be happy and joyful when everything going on 
around you says you should feel differently? That, my friend, is the peace of God.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment