Monday, May 23, 2016

Hail Happenings

Holy Hail, Batman! When will it stop? The 'hail dimension' of each hailstorm are normal conversation topics lately in Texas. Texans are now getting creative to deal with those pesky things coming from the sky. The State of Texas should give prizes to the most creative car cover up for hail! I've seen it all... Car mats, water floats, tarps, blankets, mattresses, bubble wrap and even tires to hold all the stuff down! Redneck Hail Protection at its best.

I, on the other hand, prefer to live life dangerously. I prefer to wait until the very, very last possible moment….when the hail begins to fall. I then run outside with hoodie half draped over my head, furiously trying to get the car in the garage, before it succumbs to hail dents. I guess I like the adventure of it all. Thus far, I've been successful and beat the hail each time. This has happened 5 times, people! When will it stop?

We cover up from more than just hail. Yep, we want our cars and houses to be free from little bumps and dents caused by hail. In reality, we work hard to hide our own bumps and dents in our soul. We don't want people to see the real "us." So, what do we do? Put on a good happy face and sing the happy song all day? Not quite. It's easy, though, to play cover up. Cover up from any signs of weaknesses, problems, hurts and pains.

Why do we cover up? Fear can be a primary reason. Thom Rutledge writes "Fear is our constant companion, our day to day nemesis, and our ultimate challenge. Fear fuels our negative and judgmental thoughts and our need to control things. Fear underlies guilt and shame and anger." (Thom Rutledge, Embracing Fear and Finding the Courage to Live Your Life, 2002) the longer we're alive, the more things we can potentially hide from. Here are some typical fears that grip us.... If I really expose who I am, you could reject me. If I don't perform to your standard, you'll judge me. If you gossip about me, I will withdraw. If I have a bad flying experience, no more flying for me! If I have a failed marriage, I'm not trying again. When something bad happens, we make inner vows to prevent that from happening again.

Check out the words of the song "When I'm With You" by Citizen Way. "There are the things that I need to pray. Because I can't find peace any other way. I'm a mess underneath and I'm just too scared to show it. Everything's not fine and I'm not okay. But it's nice to know I can come this way. When I'm with You, I feel the real me finally breaking through. It's all because of You, Jesus. Anytime, anywhere, any heartache. I'm never too much for You to take. There's only love. There's only grace. When I'm with You nobody knows me like You do. No need for walls. You see right through. Every hurt, every scar, every secret....You just love me." 

As I place my confidence in God, He becomes my cover. My refuge. No need to hide behind all sorts of man-made nonsense or worry about what others think. How about you? God's got you no matter what crazy storm comes your way. Run to Him.

"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart..." Psalm 91:1-2, 4 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain for the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment